Question for any BX8 D3 owners

Etudica

Inspired
I've been using M-Audio BX8a deluxe monitors for years now, and after multiple cap replacements one of them finally bit the dust for good (PCB board damaged beyond repair near the highs amp chip).

So, for those who currently have or have previously owned the newer D3 series, any issues similar to the original BX5/Bx8 line regarding constant capacitors blowing?

if it's a lemon- trash it

I've never had any issues with any of my m-audio 5" series- and i've used them for 10+ years
I had a few 8" sets and never liked them- i think they were also prone to issues--

anyway- trash them and get Yamaha HS8's it's about time

I have been using mt Bx8a's for 11 years and the caps are bloated leaking and they just won't quit. I have even repaired one of the driver suspension with silicon. Ha, I guess I'm getting my $500 worth.

if it's a lemon- trash it

I've never had any issues with any of my m-audio 5" series- and i've used them for 10+ years
I had a few 8" sets and never liked them- i think they were also prone to issues--

anyway- trash them and get Yamaha HS8's it's about time

How is the low end on the HS8s? I should have specified that I used my BX8s primarily through a second setup just for hard trance production and mixing, not with my Axe.

Also, how hot do they get both at reasonable volumes and sitting idle? The BX8s got extremely hot to the touch just sitting idle (I often left them on for days at a time). I see the HS8s have an externally mounted heatsink, so I'm assuming they would be more efficient than the internally mounted M-Audio design, but I'd like to hear from actual owners. Not much in online reviews regarding heat.

So
I tried the HS5's- was really lacking low end
I tried the HS7- they had more low end- but I didn't feel like I was getting the complete picutre
HS8's had all of it and was perfect

I never felt them generate an unreasonable amount of heat at all-
I have the matching sub- not that I need it at all for bass- it never gets hot- it's basically my foot rest

I used BX5A's every one they had- deluxe, carbon all that stuff for 10 years+ straight never thought they got hot really either

I do not need the sub- the HS8's are adequate for bass- I found it for $150 and on a $550 speaker i couldn't say no
I like it because I feel it more than I hear it at all and its very minute and subtle

ALSO- if I didn't have it- the settings on the HS8 are so versatile I don't even need the sub

Went for the HS8s... huge improvement in clarity of mids and highs. Not quite the same on the low end, but then again I just fired them up for the first time and haven't burned them in at all. So many ambients (especially on drums) that have been hidden all this time. Haven't fired up the Axe yet, but super excited to play with the FAS reverb through these things!

Once I went to HS8 and my Apollo Quad- I really heard stuff I've never heard before and it was like new breath and life in even old tracks I recorded years ago with an Mbox

Back
Top Bottom