Question - Can you run the Axe-FX III as a modeler and 4 cable method at the same time?

likelinus

I've got my mine current set up running through a couple of Xitone cabs, but I also keep and love my block letter 5150. I have always used pedals with the 5150 and just use a Lehle Dual SGoS to switch between the two setups. Now I'm curious if I could set up the III using a 4 cable method in the loop of the 5150 and have it work as it's effects unit, but still keep it running as normal through the Matrix GT1000FX and Xitone cabs?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched up it's kind of a wordy question :D

Thanks!

yes - I'm running just that - combo tube amp pre in fx loop 3 + outputs to both combo tube amp return and to matrix gt1000fx+fr cabs - works fine - patches can be all modelling to frfr, or tube amp pre out to matrix/frfr, or modelling with cabsim off out to tube amp return, or fx only modelling with tube amp pre + tube amp power section. With versatile audio interface I also have additional stereo power amp to 2 guitar cabs option and a studio monitors frfr option. The only thing missing is stereo tube amp pres / stereo tube amp power sections - need another tube amp for that - looking

It has so much I/O- you can do a lot of crazy stuff. You could run two full modeling rigs and 4CM.

If you split your i/o (ie: send LEFT to one thing and RIGHT to something else) you can expand even further...

Yes, I want to the ability to use either/or at any time. Where I can switch to which setup I want to use on my ABY and then select a preset/scenes that works according to which method I'm using. So I can use effects only and no amp/ir for the 5150 and everything when using the Fractal as the amp/ir. I don't need to use the 5150 and Fractal at the same time.

Not looking for anything as complicated as what Sprint is doing. I don't need to mix and match.

I've never used the 4 cable method, so I'm guessing at this from what I've read. Please feel free to correct me or if there is a better way.

Axe with 5150
Guitar > Input 1 Rear (Axe)
Input 2 (Axe) > Effects Send (5150)
Output 2 (Axe) > Effects Return (5150)
Output 3? (Axe) > Guitar Input (5150).

Taking a note from Chris. Does this mean I can split Output 2 L/R to the Axe and 5150 without using output 3 to the guitar input? Since I'm not using it in stereo mode for the 5150. Edit again, sorry, maybe they both should be Output 3 because of the 1/4" TR and humbuster. So many options, lol.

Axe with Matrix
Output 1 L/R (AXE) > Matrix

THANK YOU to everyone helping so far. It's much appreciated; as always. Happy New Years.

Last edited:
How is the ABY connected? You really wouldn't need it with a patch set up to switch between the outputs.
Currently it's

Guitar > Sennheiser EW500 G4
Senn > ABY Input
ABY Output A > Fractal
ABY Output B > 5150
ABY Tuner Output > Peterson Strobostomp HD

It's all run on a Temple Audio Pedalboard Trio with assorted pedals for the 5150 and the the FC6 + (2) Mission EP-1 pedals and extra switches.

I don't need the ABY necessarily, but I use it because of the wireless system that's in my 8U rack. It was much easier just to switch doing that to start with and my setup was a little different.

Yes, I want to the ability to use either/or at any time. Where I can switch to which setup I want to use on my ABY and then select a preset/scenes that works according to which method I'm using. So I can use effects only and no amp/ir for the 5150 and everything when using the Fractal as the amp/ir. I don't need to use the 5150 and Fractal at the same time.

Not looking for anything as complicated as what Sprint is doing. I don't need to mix and match.

I've never used the 4 cable method, so I'm guessing at this from what I've read. Please feel free to correct me or if there is a better way.

Axe with 5150
Guitar > Input 1 Rear (Axe)
Input 2 (Axe) > Effects Send (5150)
Output 2 (Axe) > Effects Return (5150)
Output 3? (Axe) > Guitar Input (5150).

Taking a note from Chris. Does this mean I can split Output 2 L/R to the Axe and 5150 without using output 3 to the guitar input? Since I'm not using it in stereo mode for the 5150. Edit again, sorry, maybe they both should be Output 3 because of the 1/4" TR and humbuster. So many options, lol.

That's an unusual way to describe a 4CM method setup. There shouldn't be any need to do any L/R splitting. I'm not clear on whether you have an Axe-FX III yet or not, but there's a really good 4CM section in the user manual, so be sure to check that out. In any case, the bottom line is the Axe-FX III excels at this kind of thing.

That's an unusual way to describe a 4CM method setup. There shouldn't be any need to do any L/R splitting. I'm not clear on whether you have an Axe-FX III yet or not, but there's a really good 4CM section in the user manual, so be sure to check that out. In any case, the bottom line is the Axe-FX III excels at this kind of thing.
I do have it. Good point on reading the manual :D It's just something I thought about the other day and thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had a quick simple explanation. I'll gladly track down the manual and read through that section. Didn't mean to waste anyones time.
I only brought up the split output since someone else mentioned doing that? Didn't know if there was some conventional wisdom on why to do that. I've just never used a 4 cable method with an effects unit. It's generally stomp boxes and I used an Intelliflex for years.

Back
Top Bottom