Can current Cab-Lab process UltraRes IRs?

I dont think it support that yet. but you can use the new AXE-EDIT cab manager to import the ultrares IR to the Axe.

in the editor go to tools->axe manage cabs. you can drag and drop from your computer hard drive to axe manage (one by one). dont forget to backup and update when finished

My curiosity boils down to this:

I have heard 2 different things. I have heard that the minimum file length you need to make an ultrares cab is 80 ms, but then I've heard that you need a wav length of 167 ms to really feel the effect of it. So if I take the current OH IR wav files that I have and make them into ultrares cabs, will I notice it? My understanding is that the .wav files he bounced are around 100 ms. :-|

Thanks Cliff. Hope your feeling all the good vibes. I'm definitely hearing quite a bit more bottom end detail....very nice.:victorious:

Also got some really easy and great results playing with the before amp eq. Very cool. Never even occurred to me. Very powerful indeed.

Thanks
Again

@ Mrguitarabuse: I'm thinking about mixing IR's, but thanks.

Last edited:
My curiosity boils down to this:

I have heard 2 different things. I have heard that the minimum file length you need to make an ultrares cab is 80 ms, but then I've heard that you need a wav length of 167 ms to really feel the effect of it. So if I take the current OH IR wav files that I have and make them into ultrares cabs, will I notice it? My understanding is that the .wav files he bounced are around 100 ms. :-|

To get the optimum results the length should be 170 ms or more. As the length gets shorter you'll lose information. However there may not be any information to lose. It all depends on the IR. I've seen long IRs where only the first 100 ms or so is actual information and the rest is silence. OTOH I've seen 100 ms IRs where there is obviously more information but it got truncated.

Short answer: try it, it can't hurt. You lose nothing with UltraRes except the ability to change the size of the cabinet. You gain better sound and less CPU.

Thanks for the answer, Cliff. Now out of pure, unadulterated curiosity, would you say on the Checkerboard 4x12... was there much out past 100 ms? - You can tell me to piss off now if you would like. :D

I already own all the friggin' V2 and mix IRs that I want from ownhammer. It would be extreme folly to purchase them all over again, especially when a good part of my tone is the Mesa V32 (which isn't in the pack). Otherwise, I'd be all over that like gravy on chicken.

What happens if a short IR (AxeII syx pre-UltraRes) and an UltraRez IR are mixed in Cab Lab? Will the result be UltraRes or pre-UltraRes AxeII syx?

What happens if a short IR (AxeII syx pre-UltraRes) and an UltraRez IR are mixed in Cab Lab? Will the result be UltraRes or pre-UltraRes AxeII syx?

You can't mix UltraRes IRs as the data is not compatible. However... we foresaw that and the UltraRes conversion process produces two files: a .ir file and a .syx file. The .ir file is the raw IR data that can be imported into CabLab for mixing purposes. So CabLab can take .wav, non-UltraRes .syx and .ir files as input to the mixer section and product UltraRes .syx files.

So will each IR have to be converted to URes files before we mix into Cab-Lab? Or will we, let's say, be able to make up a mix with a bunch of .wav files and export it as one URes IR when we are done mixing? And further, if each file is truncated at different ms values, is that going to screw up the conversion?

So will each IR have to be converted to URes files before we mix into Cab-Lab? Or will we, let's say, be able to make up a mix with a bunch of .wav files and export it as one URes IR when we are done mixing? And further, if each file is truncated at different ms values, is that going to screw up the conversion?

No, you can just use the wave files. The different lengths are not optimal but I doubt it would be audible.

The .ir files are included with our cabinet packs. We will not be offering .wav files. If you have the .wav file you don't need the .ir file. A .ir file can ONLY be used with CabLab.

If you use the Axe-Fx II to capture IRs it will only generate .ir and/or .syx files. No .wav files are generated. The resulting data can only be used on Fractal Audio products.

Cool! I picked up Cab-Lab this evening after FW13 dropped. I am looking very much forward to trying out all the different IRs I've got in wave format. I might even go back and visit the ol' Redwirez bundle... we'll see.

Cool! I picked up Cab-Lab this evening after FW13 dropped. I am looking very much forward to trying out all the different IRs I've got in wave format. I might even go back and visit the ol' Redwirez bundle... we'll see.

Note that CabLab doesn't support UltraRes yet. It will soon and any existing users will get a free update.

Oh yeah I know. I made a pre-emptive decision, and I'm glad I did. It's really super easy to use. I've already compared a bunch of mixed cabs already. It's made the process a lot simpler. No need to use 3 different programs to create, convert, send, and test. I'm digging it big time.

I was excited about converting my RedWirez collection also, but I don't think they will benefit much. They are only around 100ms long, and thus less than the 170ms required for UltraRes. Can't hurt to try though...

Not sure I follow. Does the Axe convert any IR into UltraRes or do I need to wait for the cab-lab release, to try other 3rd party IR's?

Back
Top Bottom