Question: Boosting volume without distorting

Also

Hi! First of all, I'm sorry, because this might be a dumb question.

I'm using a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic as my vocal pedal. My mic signal chain is as follows:

Mic (Shure SM58) -> TC Helicon Mic Mechanic -> Axe FX III Input 2 via XLR

The problem is, if I try to boost the volume by either adding a mixer with gain or increasing the output of the Input 2 block, the signal gets a little distorted. What's the best way to increase my mic volume in order to match my guitar's while keeping it sounding clean?

Thank you!

Hi! First of all, I'm sorry, because this might be a dumb question.

I'm using a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic as my vocal pedal. My mic signal chain is as follows:

Mic (Shure SM58) -> TC Helicon Mic Mechanic -> Axe FX III Input 2 via XLR

The problem is, if I try to boost the volume by either adding a mixer with gain or increasing the output of the Input 2 block, the signal gets a little distorted. What's the best way to increase my mic volume in order to match my guitar's while keeping it sounding clean?

Thank you!

I just made up a patch using a mic mechanic on channel 2 and then back into channel ones output....it seemed to work fine to just adjust the input gain on channel 2 to about +10 db and also the volume control on the side of the mic mechanic to about 50%...
also I put input 2 to mono on the Axe3 from it's default stereo setting.
I could raise the level on 2's input as well as the PEQ I put in the vocal chain wihout distortion.

I think the key is to make sure channel 2 is set to mono input and the mic mechanic has it's output up high enough.

I just made up a patch using a mic mechanic on channel 2 and then back into channel ones output....it seemed to work fine to just adjust the input gain on channel 2 to about +10 db and also the volume control on the side of the mic mechanic to about 50%...
also I put input 2 to mono on the Axe3 from it's default stereo setting.
I could raise the level on 2's input as well as the PEQ I put in the vocal chain wihout distortion.

I think the key is to make sure channel 2 is set to mono input and the mic mechanic has it's output up high enough.

Thanks! I had the Input 2 gain set to 10%, setting it to 50% and the rest to default values I achieved the clean sound I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom