Question before purchase of the Ultra

diggi

Inspired
Hey there,

I am close to grabbing this awesome unit up for one of our studios. The reviews of the product and customer service have been phenomenal and I applaud your "no excuses" way of doing business. Bravo!

Questions:

- Is "spill over" of effects available for delay, reverb, synth and other effects, or is the spill over only available with "some" things. We're going to replace a huge guitar rack with the Ultra, and this is very, very important. Currently, our guitar rack allows for lead playing with long delay trails that decrescendo over about a minute or less, and fade off while in a new preset for rhythm.

- Can very heavy rhythm sounds be achieved with this unit as well? Think Meshuggah and other bands with big rhythms.

- On occasion, this may be used LIVE and with the same things mentioned above in play - can that be done in a live setting as well?

My sincere thanks to all who reply, and I look forward to making this purchase immediately.

~ Diggi

The only spillover is for Delay & Reverb (AFAIK)... every time I try to have delay spill over it "preset pops" when changing to another preset (I'm sure I'm not doing something wrong)... you also have to make sure to either both the global spillover enabled and have the same delay or reverb block from patch to patch...

You should know that Meshuggah actually plays through the Axe-fx now... so does Clawfinger... and let's not forget PigWeed! :D

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot, instead of buying one, you should buy two... just in case one breaks... you know? ;)

.....funny you should mention "2." However, I'm pretty sure that if one broke, Fractal would be all over it to fix it.

diggi said:
.....funny you should mention "2." However, I'm pretty sure that if one broke, Fractal would be all over it to fix it.
No Doubt... but the man (Cliff) needs a new roof... no wait, that was last year... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ha ha, ok I gotcha.

Say, does anyone have a definitive answer on which effects "spill" over?

Peace

~ J

diggi said:
ha ha, ok I gotcha.

Say, does anyone have a definitive answer on which effects "spill" over?

Peace

~ J
Let me check the Wiki... Hold on...

Edit: From Axe-Fx Wiki

The delay spillover settings prevents the clearing of the delay lines when switching presets. If you think of the Axe-Fx as a virtual collection of effects it's as though you simply took your delay pedal and instantly moved it around in the chain and changed it's parameters. If you're going to a preset that doesn't have the delay block then there will be no spillover.

You can have spillover by simply putting the delay block in the new patch. If you don't want delay in the new patch then set the input gain to the delay block to zero. If you do this you'll get spillover but no new delay. If you come from a patch with no delay block to one with delay, you'll get no spillover as delays lines are cleared if they are not used in a preset.

If you want delay to spillover from the last patch, but you want a different delay in the current patch, use two delay blocks in your new patch. The first should match the parameters of the other patch, except that the input will be muted. This will act as the spillover patch, as long as the number of the delay block 1/2 matches the last patch. Now you can add a second delay block of whatever type you desire for the new patch and use it normally.

Edit2: You asked if synth, etc... would spill over... AFAIK as long as you set your delay as the last block in your grid, whatever is being "delayed" will spill over... now go get those two Ultras! :D

[attachment=0:1nd5pl05]ultrastandard.jpg[/attachment:1nd5pl05]
The Ultra just came last week, so many good sounds- love running BOTH together-I'm sure you can imagine some
of the combinations that can be conjured up.... :evil: :twisted: :eek: :cool: :lol:

Yeah, "get two". Done, my friend-gotta love it :D :D :D
Cheers,
Joel in Sarasota Florida

Attachments

• ultrastandard.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 649
joeltc1 said:
[attachment=0:29lvorck]ultrastandard.jpg[/attachment:29lvorck]
The Ultra just came last week, so many good sounds- love running BOTH together-I'm sure you can imagine some
of the combinations that can be conjured up.... :evil: :twisted: :eek: :cool: :lol:

Yeah, "get two". Done, my friend-gotta love it :D :D :D
Cheers,
Joel in Sarasota Florida
Why does the new Ultra look purple? Is that the Barney edition? :D

Yup, a shade of purple for sure, don't know why-I didn't see "check box for
color choice". I noticed it right out of the box but really saw the difference
when I dropped it in the rack. I think I'll keep it anyway ;)

I did my usual "cheap Charlie" buying strategy with the Standard-bought used at the
going rate. Played it. WOW. Read, read, read the forum, saw Scott Peterson's review
of the Ultra, heard Deweezil play his.....Ok, I WANT IT!

Looked for a used one, no luck.
Gave deeper thought on the value or the unit, the support of the Forum members, the spirit
of sharing and the AMAZING, Mind Blowing ONGOING improvements, upgrades and communications from
the creator (Cliff, that is ;). The gift that keeps on giving.....

Keeping all that in mind I had no problem purchasing new from the
factory.

Fractal is worth full boat in my estimation. I don't TOUCH or LOOK AT my other amps now.
Strange indeed, closet full of 9-100watt amps, speakers power/pre-amp tubes PROJECTS For The FUTURE-
all ignored since my soul has been Fractalized.

Time has come today.

Peace-play on...

Cheers,
Joel in Sarasota

I'm sure someone will correct me quickly if I'm wrong, but I don't think that there is any spillover for Reverb.

joegold said:
I'm sure someone will correct me quickly if I'm wrong, but I don't think that there is any spillover for Reverb.

It implies it in the manual, but I don't think it does.

Reverb spillover has already been added for the next firmware release. Did it a couple days ago.

EXCELLENT -

"Now go get 2" you mean.

I intend to.

Amazing, amazing.

Question: was anyone using an Eventide machine - e.g. Eclipse or otherwise prior to getting an Ultra or Standard? And, how do the effects compare?

2 for me!

~ J

diggi said:
EXCELLENT -

"Now go get 2" you mean.

I intend to.

Amazing, amazing.

Question: was anyone using an Eventide machine - e.g. Eclipse or otherwise prior to getting an Ultra or Standard? And, how do the effects compare?

2 for me!

~ J

Yes, I was using the Eclipse prior. I sold it a few month back. the effects are different flavors but both sound great. The Eclipse can do somethings a Ultra cannot and the Ultra can do many thing the eclipse cannot. The routing and programming ease of use make the Axe-fx a no brainer IMO. The pitch effects are a bit smoother on the Eclipse but the Axe-fx tracks better IMO, plus yyou can route it in way that are impossible to do with Eclipse.

Back
Top Bottom