Question about volume of Drive Models

lscottk

Experienced
I was working on a new patch tonight and I noticed that on some of the drive models there is a big change in volume when switching between drive models, even when the mix/level/drive knobs remain at the same value. For example, switch between the Tube Drv 3-knob and the Tube Drv 4-knob and there is a significant change in volume between the two even when the settings (including level) do not change. I looked to see if any settings were shifting when a different model was selected. I didn't see any settings change even though I heard the volume change.

This is definitely not a complaint. I understand about using the level setting in each block to compensate for relative volume differences between different blocks. So I can still create presets with no problems. I'm just curious why the models work this way. Does anyone know?

Recently Cliff went about making the Drives more authentic, warts and all - this includes an accurate sweep of their Level parameters.

Basically, that's what the real thing does.

It seems like the level control sets the volume outside of the actual block. In other words, the level control allows setting volume of the block even though there is no comparable control on the device in the non-virtual world. If level is set to 5 there is a significant difference of volume when switching between some blocks. So, even though the level remains at 5 before and after selecting different drive block models there is sometimes a significant variation in resulting volume. This just doesn't seem intuitive to me. I'm sure that there is a good reason. I just don't understand how it works.

It seems like the level control sets the volume outside of the actual block. In other words, the level control allows setting volume of the block even though there is no comparable control on the device in the non-virtual world. If level is set to 5 there is a significant difference of volume when switching between some blocks. So, even though the level remains at 5 before and after selecting different drive block models there is sometimes a significant variation in resulting volume. This just doesn't seem intuitive to me. I'm sure that there is a good reason. I just don't understand how it works.

sd1_gal.jpg

See that knob on the left? The Axe-Fx knob labeled "Level" does the same thing. The models accurately model the maximum output level and taper of that knob.

5.png

See that knob on the right? Same story.

Back
Top Bottom