Question about using the front panel output knobs.

Joero6

Inspired
Running the Axe fx2 Xl+ Into a Matrix GT1000fx, With an external noise gate in the FX Loop. The Matrix runs to a pair of 4x12 Cabs. I have been running the level of both output knobs at 100%, and controlling my master volume with the matrix. (after any input and output changes inside the axe presets) Is this OK? Anybody else use it this way? Pros? COns? Thanks in advance. Joe

I run the matrix full then control by the afx levels - however as long as your not clipping the afx output it really doesnt matter which way you work.

I've read in the manual where is states to run the front 2 AXE volume knobs full. However, I just don't feel comfortable with that scenario.
A lot of sound engineers claim they run their power amps on full, then adjust using the console. Being a sound engineer myself, I don't follow that rule. I maintain optimum unity gain all the way through the mix, then adjust the power amps for the volume needed for the size of the room.
Since I purchased my AXE, about 2+ weeks ago, I've been experimenting with the volume knobs. I've been running my power amp on 50%, and adjusting the AXE's front volume knobs accordingly. This causes my AXE volume knobs to be around 20 to 25% at rehearsal and 25 to 30% at a venue. With my dual 90 watt amp volume set at 50%, I would never be able to turn the Axe volume knobs to 10. And when the AXE is on 10, my 2:90 is on 2 to 2.5.
I would love to get clarification, as to which way is the best way, or there really isn't any best way.
I do know this for sure: Experimenting the last 2+ weeks with my AXE FX 2 XL+, I fount it is the most forgiving, intelligently laid out processor I have ever owned.

Just my setup, but I run my Axe at 12 o'clock and my tube power amp at like 10 or 11 for gigs. I don't want any power tube distortion so I try to keep it lower where it stays clean.

Make sure your modeled amps have the optimal levels too; use the VU meter and then adjust the axe out (for me it's around noon) w the matrix gt1000 fx at what you need for the room.

I was under-utilizing the axe fx gain and didn't realize until I looked at the VU meters.

Back
Top Bottom