question about using head phones

I can hear Cliff's voice in my head now, it is ALWAYS the cable! :D

Glad you got it sorted!
Thats why I did not make to big of an issue out of it because I ran in to the same thing when I got my FC-12 hooked it up and had issues and come to find out the new cable i hooked up to it was bad as well. That's why I don't point my finger at it's the axe fx fault.

you mean created on the older fw because I am on the newest fw and still have the same issues.
No, that shouldn't matter, because every time FW gets updated, all your presets still work, right? Plus, you can import presets made on older FW, and they'll work.
So if you're on the latest FW, I'd suspect it's somewhere in the preset.

No, that shouldn't matter, because every time FW gets updated, all your presets still work, right? Plus, you can import presets made on older FW, and they'll work.
So if you're on the latest FW, I'd suspect it's somewhere in the preset.
They work but they don't sound like they should at all but many factors could be at play too like different guitars, pickup's so on and so on.

They work but they don't sound like they should at all but many factors could be at play too like different guitars, pickup's so on and so on.
Oh, well that's a totally different issue. I'll switch to different presets that aren't even at the same volume. Point being, you pretty much (not always) have to tweak them to sound good, not only to you, and the styles you like, but also with your guitars and your monitoring setup.

I like to find factory presets that have a starting tone that I like, then save them to a different slot, and tweak them. Maybe bring in a Delay that I like from another preset, etc.

Oh, well that's a totally different issue. I'll switch to different presets that aren't even at the same volume. Point being, you pretty much (not always) have to tweak them to sound good, not only to you, and the styles you like, but also with your guitars and your monitoring setup.

I like to find factory presets that have a starting tone that I like, then save them to a different slot, and tweak them. Maybe bring in a Delay that I like from another preset, etc.
I have a few with tone matches in them I downloaded and no sound, some I downloaded there are no cabs or axe fx puts the different cabs in it's place. I need to go through all the presets and get rid of the ones I don't want.

now i have ran in to an issue some presets have no sound and some does
SHARE the preset so we can look at it. Relying on discussion and 20-questions is the slowest path to take to finding a solution.

It we have the preset we can run our own diagnostics and quickly pinpoint whether the problem is in the preset or your system's configuration.

try this preset. I had a guy make me this preset on the fm9 and i downloaded it to the axe 3 and it sounds nothing like the top gun theme. on mine it sounds like playing guitar in a very big empty room but it sound good on the fm 9
The FM9 and Axe Fx III are not at parity... It doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't sound the same.

I have no idea but I never changed anything when I downloaded it but i will check
You CAN'T download someone else's preset and expect it'll work with your configuration of the modeler. They can have different pedals, different cabinets, different needs for outputs. You MUST tweak it for your needs.

PS - and, if you don't pay attention to the modeler the preset was created for, and the firmware version, you can get completely different results than what the original author intended.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why some presets even factory presets sound like they are in a huge room kind of like a tunnel? I know they are not supposed to sound that way so not sure what the issue is. If you listen to the preset above that I posted it sounds the same way. I'm on the latest firmware 19.05. I just went through factory presets 000 to 065 and they all sound about the same. Sounds like you're in a tunnel with a lot of reverb.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why some presets even factory presets sound like they are in a huge room kind of like a tunnel? I know they are not supposed to sound that way so not sure what the issue is. If you listen to the preset above that I posted it sounds the same way. I'm on the latest firmware 19.05. I just went through factory presets 000 to 065 and they all sound about the same. Sounds like you're in a tunnel with a lot of reverb.
Make sure your headphones are all the way in.

If you're using an adapter check it closely to make sure the headphones are all the way into the adapter or try another one.

There's some weird scenario I've seen posted about here several times over the years and that's always been the cause.

Back
Top Bottom