• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

question about unity gain and level of distortions

Bjorn Goud

Hello, i have the fx8 now for about 4 months and it is just great. i can find my way in it, but i need to know something about levels of the distortions.
is it normal that the distortion final levels must be set to about 3 for it not to be way too loud compared to the fx8 overall volume when the distortions are not engaged? or is there something i have set wrong in 'unity gain'? i was under the impression that unity gain would level out extreme differences in volume, but i can be wrong about that ofcourse. Can anyone shed some light on this. It feels counterintuitive to have to set the distortions output so low, even though i do believe in the term 'when it sounds good , it is good'. i just feel something might be set wrongly by me.

Anyways, it is an amazing fx machine to me so far. :)

regards Bjorn

chris

Legend!
Distortion and overdrive are pretty much inherently NOT unity gain. The different amounts of drive will change the level drastically, so yes, a Level of 3 is fine if it keeps your levels where they should be.

Something like Chorus which adds an effect to the tone can more easily be unity gain because not much drive/gain/level is added. Compare that to an overdrive where the purpose is to increase the drive/level.

Note that you don’t have to always be at Unity Gain coming out of the FX8. If you want more level, then do that. UG is just a starting point, a nominal level, and you can increase or decrease as needed, but a good idea to center around UG levels as a base.

Top Bottom