Question about the Tuner

Maybe so but if it wasn't that jumpy in the first place I wouldn't have to. I don't have this with the other tuners that I use.

Maybe so, but the axe tuner is VERY accurate, and I prefer that. It's AMAZING when setting intonation! đź‘Ź

Perhaps he can set a 'speed mode' or something where you can tune faster with less jumping around but switch back to the accurate mode when setting intonation or in the studio or whatever

Maybe so, but the axe tuner is VERY accurate, and I prefer that. It's AMAZING when setting intonation! đź‘Ź

Perhaps he can set a 'speed mode' or something where you can tune faster with less jumping around but switch back to the accurate mode when setting intonation or in the studio or whatever

That would be a great idea!

The question is: do we really need that much accuracy for regular tuning? I think not. Most of us will probably use it for on stage tuning or during rehearsal and maybe at home and than the last thing you want is a jumpy tuner, especially not during a gig. Most regular (maybe less accurate but still ok) tuners work just fine for setting up intonation as well. So accuracy is important but not to the extent that is doesn't work good anymore or is too sensive for regular tuning.

I have seen numerous topics on the tuner. Yes I also find the tuner too jumpy, especially on the MFC. I never use it on my MFC because of this. I am on Axe fx II. I think that if the accuracy stands in the way of the smoothness Clive should make it a little less accurate so it wouldn’t be that jumpy. But still accurate enough for normal tuning obviously. It’s much more jumpy than any other tuner I have at home or used before and that’s not a good thing if you ask me.
The Axe-Fx III tuner is not the same as the Axe-Fx II tuner. Please refrain from posting about the Axe-Fx III if you don't own one. Thanks.

I remember one of the past articles where a youtube guy whom I cannot remember said tuning, especially the wound strings by repeatedly hitting the string.
I have been doing that for a year or 2 now and find it works well. Especially with the E & A strings. Just continued light"consistent hits.
I have used the neck pickup forever to tune or set the intonation.
I find the fractal tuner on the FM3 to be great, especially using this method. Even on the all 6 strings, though more important on wound strings as mentioned above.
The fractal tuner has progressed very nicely right along with the Ultra thru the FM3....

The Axe-Fx III tuner is not the same as the Axe-Fx II tuner. Please refrain from posting about the Axe-Fx III if you don't own one. Thanks.

Has the tuners been changed a lot since then? Your correct my remarks where for the Axe II tuner. But from what I read in some Axe fx III topics the same still applies to the Axe fx III tuner (?).

I find the tuner remarkably accurate and that's changed how I think about things somewhat. A few notes on my experience:

I pick aggressively with thick Jazz 3 picks. I tune to a constant strumming. Roughly 8th notes at 100bpm. I noticed since owning the 3 that habitually and unconsciously I pick more gently when tuning because it clearly shows the note being pulled sharp if I pick hard. With consistant strumming I tune to the point where the meter is dead on. If I strum slow and gentle I can see how the note drops a bit flat. But, I know I'm going to potentially pick harder when playing so it's probably the closest I can possibly be to dead on.

Tuning the way I do seems to be the best way for what and how I play. If I played other styles more often I'd probably gravitate towards tuning differently. I'm curious if string gauge factors into this. I am ordering some different picks though because the Jazz 3s I'm finding are a joy for leads, but bad for cowboy chord rhythm stuff which I'm brushing up on and trying to learn more of.

A final note that I have is that I own a 7 string and tune to drop A. I haven't found a set of strings that sells a good gauge for this arrangement with a 25.5" scale and it always ends up too floppy for my liking. This string is the worst at pulling sharp when I tune. I find the rotating strobe style tuner a HUGE help because if I understand things correctly, it uses a separate algorithm that just seems to eliminate some of the jumpyness found in the meter tuner. I really like the system as it stands right now and can get exactly what I need out of it.

A final note that I have is that I own a 7 string and tune to drop A. I haven't found a set of strings that sells a good gauge for this arrangement with a 25.5" scale and it always ends up too floppy for my liking.

am using NYXL 11-64s on the 25.5“ 7 string that i tune to A standard. it’s certainly floppy, but is quite playable, and i figure that part of the sound of drop tuning comes from the floppiness

am using NYXL 11-64s on the 25.5“ 7 string that i tune to A standard. it’s certainly floppy, but is quite playable, and i figure that part of the sound of drop tuning comes from the floppiness

Agreed but I'm not looking for that floppy feel or sound. I want a tighter more normal feeling string. I am probably going to try Ernie Ball cobalt light top heavy bottom. which goes 10-62. It's probably the best I can do without getting into custom sets. I've always been partial to D'darrio but they just don't seem to have what I want for a 7 string. I'm also pretty skeptical that these new $16 sets of strings are twice as good as the normal $6-$7 sets. Lots of marketing and technology but that's pretty pricey. I don't want to drag the conversation away from the thread topic so that's all I want to say on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom