Question about the Tuner

Bulldog50

Inspired
Has anyone noticed that when tuning the 1st string (High E) and the second string, sometimes the tuner graphic on the unit jumps around, and appears way more sensitive to the amount of force one uses while picking the string? It seems like the high strings are more sensitive to the pitch you dial in on the tuning pegs.

When you press a string hard you bend it out of tune.
Thanks. I wouldn't say I'm pressing it. Just striking it a little harder. But I take your point. The lower strings don't seem to be as sensitive. BTW, this happens on all my guitars. A Gibson LP, a Strat and two PRSs so I don't think it is a quirk on my guitar, since it happens on all of them.

when you pick hard, you’re also stretching the string out of tune. thinner strings stretch easier. this has led some people to believe it’s better to tune so that the initial note is in tune (notably Trey from gear gods) while the mainstream opinion is to tune so that the sustained note is in tune. there was a whole thread about this a coupe of years ago.

the tuner has always had an issue with smooth graphics in my use. I do not strike the strings hard either. Would sure be nice to have a much smoother and consistent behavior with it. Don't get me wrong, it works, but could be smoother.

the tuner has always had an issue with smooth graphics in my use. I do not strike the strings hard either. Would sure be nice to have a much smoother and consistent behavior with it. Don't get me wrong, it works, but could be smoother.
I believe there has been discussion on this before... And Cliff mentioned that the reason it's less smooth than other tuners is because it's more accurate.

Also a good tip when using any tuner is to use the side of your thumb to brush the string instead of picking it, so it doesn't have that sharp transient and settling time, and also turn down the tone knob on the guitar to remove most of the other harmonic content but leaving the fundamental.

Been doing that for so long now it's become second nature and tuning up becomes lightning fast

Also a good tip when using any tuner is to use the side of your thumb to brush the string instead of picking it, so it doesn't have that sharp transient and settling time, and also turn down the tone knob on the guitar to remove most of the other harmonic content but leaving the fundamental.

Been doing that for so long now it's become second nature and tuning up becomes lightning fast
Thanks for that tip. I'll try it.

Reactions: jon
On my fc it jumps around to the point that I don't use it anymore, but I do use the unit screen tuner and find it great. I also notice the fc screen tuner usually doesn't match the unit itself. Not trying to start anything, because this has all be said before, just my experience with my unit.

Been doing that for so long now it's become second nature and tuning up becomes lightning fast.

What he said...and use the neck pickup because its closer to the fundamental node of the string and they're typically slightly louder than bridge pickups.

Reactions: jon
What he said...and use the neck pickup because its closer to the fundamental node of the string and they're typically slightly louder than bridge pickups.
Interesting... Because I've always heard it's better to tune with the bridge pickup and have been doing so for a long time even though much of my playing is on the neck pickup.

I believe there has been discussion on this before... And Cliff mentioned that the reason it's less smooth than other tuners is because it's more accurate.

I have seen numerous topics on the tuner. Yes I also find the tuner too jumpy, especially on the MFC. I never use it on my MFC because of this. I am on Axe fx II. I think that if the accuracy stands in the way of the smoothness Clive should make it a little less accurate so it wouldn’t be that jumpy. But still accurate enough for normal tuning obviously. It’s much more jumpy than any other tuner I have at home or used before and that’s not a good thing if you ask me.

Interesting... Because I've always heard it's better to tune with the bridge pickup and have been doing so for a long time even though much of my playing is on the neck pickup.
Nah, he's right - it's similar to the 12th fret method you described - there's more harmonic content at the bridge than the middle node (12th fret) or even the neck pickup - a string vibrates several different ways in several different planes, and the bridge is one of those areas where all the different vibrations basically rebound (the nut too) and send the energy back along the string

So the bridge is preferred by many sound- wise for a more 'biting' sound because of all the wave activity taking place there, giving it a rich harmonic content, whilst the neck is 'smoother' and better to use to tune with, because of less activity....matter of fact there are going to be more 'nodes' further from the bridge which we guitarists make use of as those 'harmonics', the strongest being the harmonic at the center - 12th fret

Last edited:
I have seen numerous topics on the tuner. Yes I also find the tuner too jumpy, especially on the MFC. I never use it on my MFC because of this. I am on Axe fx II. I think that if the accuracy stands in the way of the smoothness Clive should make it a little less accurate so it wouldn’t be that jumpy. But still accurate enough for normal tuning obviously. It’s much more jumpy than any other tuner I have at home or used before and that’s not a good thing if you ask me.

If you use the methods all listed above it will be MUCH less jumpy

Additionally I have found that if there are issues acoustically with the instrument (you'll only hear them unplugged) such as a badly seated bridge, saddles cocked on one side,, buzzy frets, string noise behind the nut (usually a problem with the nut), a nut thats too low, action that's too low, not enough neck relief etc, it will cause havoc when you are tuning! As an example I recently replaced a bridge and the the tuner went from jumping around to standing almost perfectly still, so still that it's almost unnerving! Lol!!

Keep in mind that most guitars will have slight issues such as these, and you will ONLY hear it if you play it unplugged and listen carefully and critically - the axe just exposes all of them!

If you use the methods all listed above it will be MUCH less jumpy

Maybe so but if it wasn't that jumpy in the first place I wouldn't have to. I don't have this with the other tuners that I use.

Back
Top Bottom