Question about the FM3

birbajans94

Just realized that there is the FM3.
Couldn't find specs on the FAS website or the european dealer product's page, so I thought I could turn to this sub with my questions.
I have an AX8. Two major things that I don't like so much about the AX8 (but accept because of lack of alternatives) are the terrible interface and CPU limits. That dual amping and building-your-own-crazy-ass-fx are not possible was a big disappointment (no, I don't want to get a bigger rack unit).
It doesn't look like anything happened on the interface front, but what's with the FM3 and CPU power? Is there enough for going wild with fx and dual amping?

What's the main pitch for the FM3 (over the AX8)? AXE-FXIII Modelling?

This might help answer most/all of your questions.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=FM3

The FM3 is not an Axe III, however it's a significant leap from an Ax8. The AX8 is a legacy product. Whether you think it'll be worth it, only you can decide.

Personally, I've found that you can definitely use more FX with the FM3 vs the AX8. However, it has its limits. If you want dual-amps and crazy effects, you need the Axe III.

you can't have 2 amps at the same time but you do have 4 channels of the amp block which can all be totally different models, variations of one or any combination.

you can go ape-$h!+ with effects and create some very interesting and unique setups although you may need to use more than one preset depending on exactly what you're trying to do.

The AxeFxIII let's you do everything with very little thought to CPU while the FM3 is extremely powerful but you may need find creative ways around it's limits. That's not a bad thing, you just need to be aware.

As for the display/user interface, it's lightyears ahead of the AX8

Last edited:
you can't have 2 amps at the same time but you do have 4 channels of the amp block which can all be totally different models, variations of one or any combination.

you can go ape-$h!+ with effects and create some very interesting and unique setups although you may need to use more than one preset depending on exactly what you're trying to do.

The AxeFxIII let's you do everything with very little thought to CPU while the FM3 is extremely powerful but you may need find creative ways around it's limits. That's not a bad thing, you just need to be aware.

As for the interface, it's lightyears ahead of the AX8
I’ve had some good luck mimicking a dual amp set up using the shredder as an amp in going to one cab, and another amp block going to another . It’s all heavy stuff, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom