Question about recording with USB connection to mac computer

David777

Hi.

My name is Dave and I am NOT computer savvy (I may be the oldest member on this forum).

I've connected my FX III to my mac via USB, but when I try to record using Logic, I get a staccato popping sound and a memory error pop up on the mac (see 2 screen shots below).

Question 1:

Is this likely because I do not have my mac - or Logic - configured correctly? I've tried following the steps in the manual, but no success thus far.

Question 2:

If I do get this set up to record, can I continue to use my existing studio monitors for output vs. using the AXE FX III for output?

Thanks so much for any guidance.

I may try to find someone I can hire to get this set up for me.

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 7.22.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 7.30.22 AM.png

Hey Dave, I’ll try to help but more info might be needed.
1. Is it a buffer size issue? What is your buffer set to in logic preferences? You would find it under the audio tab in the preferences menu of logic (I think, it’s been a while). If it’s really low (like less than 128) try making it higher just to see if it stops the issue.

It’s still a weird error message.

2. Yes you still can use your monitors. You could either plug them into the axe fx or make an aggregate device in your Mac audio/midi options that combines your audio interface and the axe fx. This is found in the utilities folder in the applications folder of your Mac. But I’d wait on this until you have the other issue sorted.

and that makes me wonder, how are you monitoring at the moment? Where are you hearing the pops and clicks from? Logic says it’s your axe fx but maybe you’re trying something else?

Hi @David777
Couple of questions.
1. Are you directly connecting your USB cable between your AxeFX3 and your Mac? (As opposed to an audio controller between the two).

2. Is the sync in Logic set to Fractal’s speed of 48KHz (default in Logic is usually 44.1KHz, and this can create different issues if nothing matching).

3. Is the staccato sound in time with the BPM setting in Logic?

Best,
Lee

Fatjac and is9582 are probably on the money here, I wasn’t sure if sample rate was a thing when recording over USB, but if it is a thing, then it’s probably the culprit.

Fatjac and is9582 are probably on the money here, I wasn’t sure if sample rate was a thing when recording over USB, but if it is a thing, then it’s probably the culprit.
The sample rate shouldn't be a problem, but try with a 48KHz project anyway.

I don't recall ever seeing that error, but I suspect it isn't related to the audio interface. What are the specs of your Mac? What version of Logic are you running? Can you play back audio without any problems? Does the problem happen every time you try to record?

The sample rate isn't an issue, I record stuff in Logic at 44.1 all the time, there's just a slight tonal difference in what you hear in playback as opposed to what you hear coming directly out of your AxeFX. Took me a while to figure out why my recordings weren't sounding exactly like what I was hearing out of my monitors when I was playing, but that was the culprit. You can mostly hear it in the high end, it was really noticeable on clean tones, but also negatively affected dirty tones. It's minuscule, but if you're listening under a microscope you're going to hear it.

Often times, when I've maxed out VST's and have a ton of plug-ins running, if I try playing a track it'll start that staccato popping, get all jittery and eventually stop because my RAM was maxed out.

How much RAM does your computer have? (Click the Apple in the top left corner then About This Mac, Memory is your RAM)

If that's all you've recorded is one track so far, there shouldn't be any issues, especially just a basic audio track. Looking at that link Admin M@ posted above, I'm curious is this Logic session a brand new one or one you've used before?

OK, problem solved. It was operator error on my part. I had somehow set up loop region at the beginning of the track that was less than a beat long and it was constantly looping that very short segment.

Back
Top Bottom