Question About Pairing AX8 with Mission Engineering Gemini 2

Razor

I received my new AX8 a few days ago and have been digging in while I have some time off from work. I hope some experienced/knowledgeable members might answer a question. In the I/O menu, there is an option for output 1 to be set at +4 or -10, and I am not sure which is appropriate? I read my Gemini manual but did not find an answer there.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to All on the FAS Forum!

If you connect via the XLR output, use +4db since you are feeding it a balanced signal. If you use a regular 1/4” guitar cord use -10db for unbalanced.

If you can, use the XLR.

Merry Christmas to you too!

If you connect via the XLR output, use +4db since you are feeding it a balanced signal. If you use a regular 1/4” guitar cord use -10db for unbalanced.

If you can, use the XLR.

Thank you for the reply!

If you can, use the XLR.

I'm not sure about this correlation between balanced signals and their level. For example a mic input in a mixer is balanced but in most cases it's not optimized for a line level signal, both in terms of gain and impedance.

Anyway to answer the OP, the manual states input 1 is a line input so I assume that means it accepts +4dB signals

I'm not sure about this correlation between balanced signals and their level. For example a mic input in a mixer is balanced but in most cases it's not optimized for a line level signal, both in terms of gain and impedance.

Anyway to answer the OP, the manual states input 1 is a line input so I assume that means it accepts +4dB signals

Thank you for your response! I have been running the AX8 into the Gemini at the +4 setting for the few days I have owned the AX8. Some of the factory presets seemed unusually loud and there was some noise I interpreted to be unwanted (kind of sounded like the speakers were overloaded - I think). I just went into the respective amp blocks and lowered the overall level which seemed to improve what was happening. Since these were factory presets, I assumed they would be optimized for most frfr systems without major adjustments. I should also note that when I had the unwanted noise, I did not have the gemini volume very high at all, probably 1/3 of the possible power. I did however have the output 1(mains) maxed as recommended in videos made by FAS members.

I have not had a chance to try the -10 setting but probably will tomorrow. I appreciate everyone's input and hope to determine if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Thank you for your response! I have been running the AX8 into the Gemini at the +4 setting for the few days I have owned the AX8. Some of the factory presets seemed unusually loud and there was some noise I interpreted to be unwanted (kind of sounded like the speakers were overloaded - I think). I just went into the respective amp blocks and lowered the overall level which seemed to improve what was happening. Since these were factory presets, I assumed they would be optimized for most frfr systems without major adjustments. I should also note that when I had the unwanted noise, I did not have the gemini volume very high at all, probably 1/3 of the possible power. I did however have the output 1(mains) maxed as recommended in videos made by FAS members.

I have not had a chance to try the -10 setting but probably will tomorrow. I appreciate everyone's input and hope to determine if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!
Is there no clip LED on the Gemini?

Shoot an email or phone call to Mission. They are cool guys... Just tell them what you're doing and what they recommend.

I did however have the output 1(mains) maxed as recommended in videos made by FAS members.
the output 1 volume is NOT designed to be maxed. it is designed to be used as a typical volume control, so turn it to where you need it, not necessarily maxed out. the general usable range is between 9 o clock and 3 o clock, but it can be used outside of that if needed.

the output 1 volume is NOT designed to be maxed. it is designed to be used as a typical volume control, so turn it to where you need it, not necessarily maxed out. the general usable range is between 9 o clock and 3 o clock, but it can be used outside of that if needed.

I appreciate this input. I had read posts and watched videos (I think from AustinBuddy) mentioning maxing out the output 1 control knob. Subsequently, I revisited some of these posts and realized that AustinBuddy's advice referred to recording versus live playing. Currently, I am only concerned with optimizing my system for live playing.

I am going to contact Mission Engineering just for clarification on the +4/-10 setting with the Gemini.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

I appreciate this input. I had read posts and watched videos (I think from AustinBuddy) mentioning maxing out the output 1 control knob. Subsequently, I revisited some of these posts and realized that AustinBuddy's advice referred to recording versus live playing. Currently, I am only concerned with optimizing my system for live playing.

I am going to contact Mission Engineering just for clarification on the +4/-10 setting with the Gemini.

Thanks again for all the assistance!
his method uses his specific presets that are set to a particularly lower level so you can turn the Out 1 all the way up. it's a bit confusing to those who miss that key point.

his method uses his specific presets that are set to a particularly lower level so you can turn the Out 1 all the way up. it's a bit confusing to those who miss that key point.

I see. That helps. I did contact Mission Engineering today and was advised that either +4 or -10 are fine. I also played at close to gig volumes and set the Out 1 at less than full volume with good results. Definitely some very good tones in the AX8, and I really am just getting started. There are so many options, and the various adjustments actually make an audible difference which is one thing that stands out from other devices I have used. I have been using a Helix prior to purchasing my AX8 (I still have the Helix). My early impressions are that the AX8 sounds more authentic than the Helix. I am excited about the possibilities with the AX8. Thanks!

Razor, thanks for posting this thread. I also just bought a Gemini II and am trying to figure out how to use it live. Would like to keep in touch to compare notes. So far I used it once for an outdoor gig and went through out 1 xlr’s to the Gemini on stage and out 1 1/4 jacks to FOH. On stage I also noticed it sounded like it was clipping at times but engineer said what was coming out of the mains sounded great. Now that I have read this and other threads I realize how much I have to learn. Hope to keep in touch. Cheers.

Razor, thanks for posting this thread. I also just bought a Gemini II and am trying to figure out how to use it live. Would like to keep in touch to compare notes. So far I used it once for an outdoor gig and went through out 1 xlr’s to the Gemini on stage and out 1 1/4 jacks to FOH. On stage I also noticed it sounded like it was clipping at times but engineer said what was coming out of the mains sounded great. Now that I have read this and other threads I realize how much I have to learn. Hope to keep in touch. Cheers.

Curious,

I will be happy to exchange experiences/info with you. I have not yet played the ax8 outside my home music room, so you have a head start. Tomorrow night will be the first time I use my ax8 at band rehearsal. At our practice space, I normally do not run through the PA but instead use the gemini like a back line amp. I will let you know if I experience anything unusual and how things go in general. Thanks for reaching out, and I hope to stay in touch.

Curious,

I will be happy to exchange experiences/info with you. I have not yet played the ax8 outside my home music room, so you have a head start. Tomorrow night will be the first time I use my ax8 at band rehearsal. At our practice space, I normally do not run through the PA but instead use the gemini like a back line amp. I will let you know if I experience anything unusual and how things go in general. Thanks for reaching out, and I hope to stay in touch.

Thanks! Best of luck with rehearsal. I’m kind of surprised that there aren’t many others on the forum that use the Gemini II. At least I haven’t seen any others yet. But it’s good that we each have at least one resource and it’s also good that we’re both kind of at the same place-Nubes! :) if you haven’t seen them yet, I highly recommend viewing Austin Buddy’s videos on AX8 edit and his video on setting levels for recording and live use. Tremendously helpful. Although, there is some issue with his suggestion to turn in the output 1 knob all the way up. Chris, the moderator, and others have said that the output not was not intended to be used that way.

I use the Gemini 1, AX8 output level around 11 o'clock, Gemini level to taste, Empower control set to flat with a piece of tape over it because it moves. I also tape the level control after I set it because it moves.

I didn’t notice the level and empower knobs moving when I used mine live but I did notice that there was enough vibration that everything I set on top of the cabinet ended up on the ground.

I use the Gemini 1, AX8 output level around 11 o'clock, Gemini level to taste, Empower control set to flat with a piece of tape over it because it moves. I also tape the level control after I set it because it moves.

I have a Gemini II with AxeFx II, I use the same settings as Nathan and I have the same issue with the pots vibrating and moving. Definitely tape them.

11 oclock on AxeFxII = 11 oclock on AX8? who knows... definitely seems to work with the input on the gemini

I like testing with a super clean Axe setting to listen for any distortion

I have a Gemini II with AxeFx II, I use the same settings as Nathan and I have the same issue with the pots vibrating and moving. Definitely tape them.

11 oclock on AxeFxII = 11 oclock on AX8? who knows... definitely seems to work with the input on the gemini

I like testing with a super clean Axe setting to listen for any distortion

Mako, apparently the Output knobs in Ax FX II and AX8 do not work the same. Austin Buddy did a video on setting levels for recording and live use (see the post in the sticky section) which seems to suggest you should turn the Out 1 knob all the way up BUT Moderator Chris says that is only if you presets are set at a low volume. Chris suggests the usable range for the Out 1 knob is 9 pm to 3pm. For live use with Gemini II he suggests starting on 9 adjusting Gemini volume to desired level and adjust as needed. I’m following Chris’ advice. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom