question about PA Speakers in general, not just Axe, but vocals too?

wake911

Experienced
So, I'm looking into buying a stage PA Speaker. The main use will be for an acoustic duo i'm re-starting up and will be the single main for small gigs. The secondary use would be great if it also worked well with the axe for FRFR.

My stupid question: Do the same features and benefits that make a PA speaker good for the axe, translate to good for the whole mix (vocals, guitars, bass, etc?)

For me, for two acoustic guitars + 1 vocal, these amps are the best sounding all-in-one solution that I have tried.

Ultrasound Amplifiers - PRO-250

But adding in bass gets a little dicy. I have done it with an Ultrasound, bass + acoustic + 1 vocal. Beyond that, drums, multiple vox, I'm not sure.

When I play with a full band, I use a dedicated amp or powered monitor just for the guitar, acoustic or electric.

- Richard

So, I'm looking into buying a stage PA Speaker. The main use will be for an acoustic duo i'm re-starting up and will be the single main for small gigs. The secondary use would be great if it also worked well with the axe for FRFR.

My stupid question: Do the same features and benefits that make a PA speaker good for the axe, translate to good for the whole mix (vocals, guitars, bass, etc?)

A good FRFR will cover both scenarios.
I bought a pair of QSC HPR122i's a couple years back for Acoustic Duo type gigs...and they were excellent for that task. When I bought my Axe, I tried using them as my FRFR guitar cab....and they were excellent for that task as well.

QSC K12's, FBT Verves, JBL PRX also sound great for small PA work as well as Axe FRFR amplification....in my experience.

That actually seems like quite a good question to me. Since the ideal here could be considered a good set of studio monitors, I'd say yes. In a PA system you might need to add a sub.

I agree.

Ideally the most linear system you can afford, amplifiers and speaker combination, will ultimately produce the best result.

I'm not sure if this is the correct term, but I think inexpensive speakers are more prone to intermodulation distortion when they are tasked with reproducing a full mix of vocals and instruments, vs. dedicated inexpensive speakers for the guitars and a separate system for the vocals.

At least with some bargain basement gear I've used, it sounded better to my ear to dedicate one speaker/amp to the guitar by itself.

- Richard

Back
Top Bottom