Question about Novations Impulse 61 and Axe Fx II

Gorilla

Experienced
Just got a Novation Impulse 61 for Xmas. I run Logic Pro X latest version 10.0.7
And latest Axe FX II versions 17.0.3 and axe edit 3.1.4

numbers all done.
Also have Novations automapper hooked up with Logic. It starts automatically. Anyways. Everytime I fire up a session, my Axe Fx II goes in bypass mode. No sound!

Anyone else running similar setup? This sucks right now. Im 99.999% sure it's not my axe fx II as it plays great when not trying to record!! But figured I ask here, as Novation doesnt have a clue. I might have to take this controller back.

OSX 10.9.2 Its stable and I aint switching.
I also have to use audioMonitor to get any sounds into my Mac from my Axe Fx II

Thanks yall!

Oh and yes I push the bypass button on the Axe Fx II unit and it does not shut off. It did once, and I had no sound. And yes I tried shutting it off a few times, but no sound once restarted.

Thanks

Yeah thanks Chris. Ive tried that already and it worked. Thought maybe someone here may have a killer work around for this dillema. Thanks!!! Forgot to mention that duhhhh :)

look in the DAW's properties and see if the Axe is listed as a controller in the device list and uncheck it if possible. i run Sonar X3 and there is a conflict if the Axe is listed along w/ my usual interface. i never used Logic so hopefully it has a similar setup. i have a Novation Impulse 49 and have no prob using the ASIO driver and just my usual interface.
the Axe should just be outputting into your interface and not be doing duty as a MIDI interface

look in the DAW's properties and see if the Axe is listed as a controller in the device list and uncheck it if possible. i run Sonar X3 and there is a conflict if the Axe is listed along w/ my usual interface. i never used Logic so hopefully it has a similar setup. i have a Novation Impulse 49 and have no prob using the ASIO driver and just my usual interface.
the Axe should just be outputting into your interface and not be doing duty as a MIDI interface

I think that may be it. I was using sonar with axe last night and anytime I hit stop in Sonar, no sound on Axe. I just switched preset and then back again and all was well. Actually I thought it was my PODs acting up and not the Axes as I could have sworn there were no LEDs lit on Axe input.

I will take a look at this tonight. Thanks for possibly solving an issue.

Yeah we thought this might be it. But, it's not showing on my list of controllers. Just the Impulse and my iPad.

The Novation runs midi and power thru USB. I'm a try and hook it up thru a midi cable and my M Audio midisport. Then hook the usb power to a outlet in my home and see what happens.

The axe is just hooked up line outs into my Apogee Duet. And axe edit is connected by USB to the axe fx II unit. The Novation Techs are on it right now. And yeah it's not a Axe Fx problem. It just isnt wanting to play well with this controller. NOT YET anyways :D

For what it's worth i have novation 61 and automap, and Sonar X3, and have not had this problem. I usually have the AFX turned on when i start Sonar. When i turn on the AFX after Sonar is running, i get a message asking if i want to add it to my sonar audio interfaces, and always select 'NO'.

Since you're on a Mac, you might want to fire up a copy of 'MIDI Monitor.app' (freeware - Google it). Only monitor the MIDI output going to the AXE-FX II. See if it is sending a controller or a SYSEX that could be confusing the AXE-FX II.

Actually - here's a pointer to the utility:

snoize: MIDI Monitor

I just checked the list of controllers - it appears that a CC#13 can trigger the global BYPASS.

If you can't stop your other software from sending a CC#13 message, you may be able to reassign the BYPASS controller to some other CC# that you don't use, like maybe Crossover 2 Bypass (CC# 46).

... okay and I just found a listing of standard MIDI CC#'s on the internet that says MIDI CC#13 is EFFECT CONTROLLER 2. If your other software initializes and tries to reset EFFECT CONTROLLER 2, this could potentially be mucking with your Axe-FX II.

Thanks for that info and BillyZeppa I'll try that startup in that order.
Novation sent me a email with something to try and I'll give all these a go and post back.

For what it's worth i have novation 61 and automap, and Sonar X3, and have not had this problem. I usually have the AFX turned on when i start Sonar. When i turn on the AFX after Sonar is running, i get a message asking if i want to add it to my sonar audio interfaces, and always select 'NO'.

This did the trick! Crazy huh? If I start my Axe Fx II after Logic Pro X and Novations automapper. It ask's me that same question. But if I select 'NO'. It puts the Axe Fx in bypass mode.

So I stared at this thing for like a hour ((P*SSED OFF)) then I turned off everything. Started up my Axe FX II FIRST …. THEN Logic Pro X ... THEN Axe Edit last after everything was ready to roll. And all worked!!! That easy! The Axe Fx HAS TO START first then Logic Pro X and the Automapper. Then axe edit. :lol

Back
Top Bottom