Question about MIDI block bypass?

tjontheroad

Inspired
I'm trying to turn on/off individual blocks via MIDI. Quoting the FM3 manual page 103, "Bypass page of the MIDI menu allows you to map MIDI CC messages—or connected pedals and switches— to bypass or engage blocks".

However when I assign and send a CC message number, it only seems to bypass the block. It does not engage the block when the CC message number is sent again after it has been bypassed. Is the another setting or CC value required to engage a block?

I don't know for certain, but it might depend on the value of the CC message you are sending. Try 127 for on and 0 for off or something like that.

I don't know for certain, but it might depend on the value of the CC message you are sending. Try 127 for on and 0 for off or something like that.

Ah yes, you are correct thanks. I should have thought of that.

FWIW, this doesn't seem to documented in the manual.

Ah yes, you are correct thanks. I should have thought of that.

FWIW, this doesn't seem to documented in the manual.
That is pretty standard CC behavior. Send a value from 0-63 for OFF and 64-127 for ON.

For simplicity's sake most people (and some devices) just use 0 and 127.

That is pretty standard CC behavior. Send a value from 0-63 for OFF and 64-127 for ON.

For simplicity's sake most people (and some devices) just use 0 and 127.

Yes, I agree it's pretty standard. Just not documented in the manual. That's what confused me at first. I assumed it was a toggle behavior rather than a on/off.

Now I'm trying the setup the tap tempo. Again the manual only states to assign a CC number. No value specified. My trial and error testing hasn't worked yet. The tempo I'm tapping doesn't match up.

Yes, I agree it's pretty standard. Just not documented in the manual. That's what confused me at first. I assumed it was a toggle behavior rather than a on/off.

Now I'm trying the setup the tap tempo. Again the manual only states to assign a CC number. No value specified. My trial and error testing hasn't worked yet. The tempo I'm tapping doesn't match up.
You have to go into the Midi/Remote menu and define the CC number to be used.

53862497-C362-42BC-A168-463E0180C374.jpeg

i think the manual tries to address it here:

IMG_6959.jpg

also, there is an option in Setup > Midi to change block bypass from responding to the Value (low vs high) to a simple Toggle. Toggle means you can send the same CC# value and it will just toggle that block.

IMG_6960.jpgi have to agree that low value for off and high value for on is pretty much an industry standard, and maybe why it's not mentioned so explicitly in the manual, but it is mentioned in the screenshot above. majority of controllers only send 0 and 127 for switches.

i believe the FAS gear responds to 0-63 for "low" and off, and 64-127 for "high" and on. but again Toggle removes that requirement and responds to any value as long as the same CC is sent.

Thanks. I already did that though. I set it to CC#15. Might be an issue with my controller. Still doing some tests.
What value are you sending with the CC? I have a vague memory that it needs to be 0.

Edit:

Also tap isn't a "toggle" type of operation so I think you need to send the same value for off and on.

What value are you sending with the CC? I have a vague memory that it needs to be 0.

Edit:

Also tap isn't a "toggle" type of operation so I think you need to send the same value for off and on.

I figured out my issue with tap tempo isn't with FM3. It is with my controller (Morningstar MC8). The MC8 has several double tap and/or release functions where you can do different commands with the same footswitch. Because of this, repeated fast taps don't always send a command because it considers them a double tap and will send a different command if assigned. Not sure yet there is a workaround. I just got the MC8. I'm reading that f'n manual too ;)

i think the manual tries to address it here:

View attachment 67539

also, there is an option in Setup > Midi to change block bypass from responding to the Value (low vs high) to a simple Toggle. Toggle means you can send the same CC# value and it will just toggle that block.

View attachment 67540i have to agree that low value for off and high value for on is pretty much an industry standard, and maybe why it's not mentioned so explicitly in the manual, but it is mentioned in the screenshot above. majority of controllers only send 0 and 127 for switches.

i believe the FAS gear responds to 0-63 for "low" and off, and 64-127 for "high" and on. but again Toggle removes that requirement and responds to any value as long as the same CC is sent.

This great info thanks.

Back
Top Bottom