Question about going from Quantum 1.x to 8.02

Suni

Hi Fractalites, I currently am on Quantum 1. I am planning on upgrading from 1 to the latest Q 8.02. Is there any gotchas that I should possibly be aware of with such a big jump in FW? I am definitely planning on making a backup using Fractal Bot, I also have the old FW file in case I need to roll back. I also know that there are different versions of Axe Edit that work with different FW versions. I have a few questions that I am curious about.

1. If I were to update to the latest Axe Edit, but have to for some reason roll back to FW Q 1 (for some reason or another, I do have tons of patches that I have painstakingly tweaked for many many hours), will the current version of Axe Edit work with fw Q 1?

2. I may have read something in the forums about User Cabs. I do use a few user cabs in my patches. Would these somehow get affected?

3. Are there any other possible "issues" I may encounter with this jump? I do plan on not "resetting" my Amp's and only doing so if the sound somehow sounds off or not as I expect. I will do it, if I absolutely have to.

Thanks so much for any advice!!!

Hi Fractalites, I currently am on Quantum 1. I am planning on upgrading from 1 to the latest Q 8.02. Is there any gotchas that I should possibly be aware of with such a big jump in FW? I am definitely planning on making a backup using Fractal Bot, I also have the old FW file in case I need to roll back. I also know that there are different versions of Axe Edit that work with different FW versions. I have a few questions that I am curious about.

1. If I were to update to the latest Axe Edit, but have to for some reason roll back to FW Q 1 (for some reason or another, I do have tons of patches that I have painstakingly tweaked for many many hours), will the current version of Axe Edit work with fw Q 1?

2. I may have read something in the forums about User Cabs. I do use a few user cabs in my patches. Would these somehow get affected?

3. Are there any other possible "issues" I may encounter with this jump? I do plan on not "resetting" my Amp's and only doing so if the sound somehow sounds off or not as I expect. I will do it, if I absolutely have to.

Thanks so much for any advice!!!
You'll want to have a copy of the Axe Edit software associated with the FW you are running. If you roll back, you'll want to roll it back, too.

I think the issue with the cabs affected going from 7.x to 8.x... Read the release notes to get the details.

Going from 1.x to 8.x you should definitely reset the amp blocks... I'd recommend copying from X to Y before the reset and then you can compare afterwards.

I went from Q3 to Q8, it was a major change, you'll really want to reset amps.

The amps changed drastically even before resetting. I think most of my stuff did sound better after reset and retweaking though.

Give it a try but back up first and have a copy of the old firmware and old axe edit for in case you want to roll back.

Backup everything! Full system & banks etc..

After loading Quantum 8.02 reset amps and start from scratch as behaviour and sound of amps have changed a bit. Less tweaking needed.

I recently went from 3.02 to 8.02 and the improvement is significant in terms of both tone & feel plus response to guitar controls. The lack of note 'blobby-ness' or 'density' (for want of better descriptions) is a breath of fresh air & actually takes a bit of getting used to; with the new presets, I had so much freedom in the mix at the weekend that I was hopping from one preset to another & chancing stuff I shouldn't be doing, but what a buzz! I'll have to start behaving soon though, or it will end in tears... :)

I take he opposite approach in terms of programming, I try to use stock presets as much as possible to avoid having to retweak after FW upgrades. With these new presets I suspect my amp tweaking days are all but over. My motto is If it sounds right, it is right, and I'd struggle to inorove much on these presets, they just work as they are in a band mix.

Unfortunately I noticed my beloved Junior Blues preset has departed so you might need to check that any presets you need, will still be there. I quickly found others that more than compensated anyway. It kinda feels like someone upgraded the tubes in a couple of hundred of your amps, then went around and redialled them to sound their best while you were out, and for free! I can be a moaning fcuker at the best of times, but I have to admit it doesn't get much better than what Fractal is doing here...

Last edited:
Guys, I just want to first of all THANK YOU so much for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it, this community continues to be the best and most helpful and I am so grateful.

Malvolio, thanks!...I did see that some people are reporting this issue, and I even saw one person saying they rolled back to Q7.x and the issue went away. I don't use Axe Edit a lot normally, but, the main reason I want to upgrade firmware right now, is for recording. My band is recording our first real album and we are planning on doing all guitars through the Axe Fx. I've also been wanting to try out some commercial presets available by various people online.
So this does mean that Axe Edit will be used extensively to dial / tweak / audtition tones, so Axe Edit not crashing is going to be really really important. I'm really at a loss for if I want to go ahead and chance it or just stay where I am where I am 100% happy with what the Axe already does for me tonally. I guess I really won't know till I try... Thanks again for all your help!!

Back
Top Bottom