Question about functionality

mistermikev

Experienced
does cab lab allow you to add hi-cut/low-cut to your impulses? Is there any ir mixer that does? I would like to do a few mixes here and there of cabs, and I fully realize one can do this after a cab is created in axe fx... but more specifically; I want to trim some lows from one of several irs I would combine.

Hi Mistermikev,

"Simple Low Pass and High Pass filters allow tone shaping an individual IR" (from the cabLab manual)

hope this help

Hi Mistermikev,

"Simple Low Pass and High Pass filters allow tone shaping an individual IR" (from the cabLab manual)

hope this help
thank you very much nikk for taking the time to respond - I truly appreciate it. The thing that is unclear to me there... is if that is an option that effects all the irs you have loaded (I think it is... iow there is not a hp/lp for each ir). I guess in a pinch I could load a single ir, create a new ir with some hi pass applied. load that ir, then process the additional irs.

thank you again for the response. at this point I might try the stand alone just to see either way... it is only $40 but there is a whole hard drive of stuff I don't use so... sort of the 'land of misfit toys'!

CabLab 3 give you the ability to mix, refine & combine 8 IR with an HPF and LPF for each, among other settings like delay, min phase, auto trim...

since i have the Axe III, i use the cab blocks tools, cause i rarelly have the need to mix more than 2 or 3 IRs, and i really like the Align windows.The only thing i would like to see, is the possibility to combine the result in one IR, but i'm super happy whith all the functionality of the cab block as is :)

I use CabLab some time, and i enjoy it!

CabLab 3 give you the ability to mix, refine & combine 8 IR with an HPF and LPF for each, among other settings like delay, min phase, auto trim...

since i have the Axe III, i use the cab blocks tools, cause i rarelly have the need to mix more than 2 or 3 IRs, and i really like the Align windows.The only thing i would like to see, is the possibility to combine the result in one IR, but i'm super happy whith all the functionality of the cab block as is :)

I use CabLab some time, and i enjoy it!
that is literally where I am at. love the cab block... meets 99.999% of my needs but it'd be nice to consolidate some freq used combos and free up some user slots and cpu. thank you so much for the answer!

I'm sorry... probably over-staying my welcome with this next q... but pouring over the manual I see this "after any blocks on the grid. Audio is processed in full stereoeven though any IRs you export will be mono. ". So if one wanted to add a left and then right farfield to a mix... am I correct in thinking one would just have to mix levels to taste, then add the left farfield, then export... then replace the left with the right farfield and export, correct? or does it mean it will export a left AND right mono impulse based on the stereo mix?

'm sorry... probably over-staying my welcome with this next q...

I think there is no simple answer to that, the amp in the room and the far field topics are beaten to death here on the forum, elsewhere on the net, and discussed by people much more knowledgeable and educated than me,

but:

but pouring over the manual I see this "after any blocks on the grid. Audio is processed in full stereoeven though any IRs you export will be mono.

from the Axe FXIII manual .p33
grid space and cable is stereo. You don't need separate left and right paths!

from the Axe FXIII manual .p35
on the AxeFx III grid, each component is STEREO. Shunts, cables, and most blocks are stereo in/stereo out.
The grid allows up to six full stereo paths, and you do NOT necessarily need to create parallel grid paths for stereo!
Some blocks internally process audio in mono (such as Amp or Drive) but even these generally have
Input Select and Output Balance parameters.

from my part, I‘ve never seen stereo IR

So if one wanted to add a left and then right farfield to a mix... am I correct in thinking one would just have to mix levels to taste, then add the left farfield, then export... then replace the left with the right farfield and export, correct?

may be, because we listen to the sound with two ears
and we need two audio signals (A = L & B = R) to have a stereo field perception

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR)

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Mono_versus_stereo

Axe FXIII manual : Cab block diagram .p66

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound

or does it mean it will export a left AND right mono impulse based on the stereo mix?

in this case, once these irs are imported into a stereo cab block or into two cab blocks, with the right pan setting, I think you will get two identical monophonic signals, because the Irs obtained with the mix generated with CabLab, will be the same,
From my understanding, there isn’t stereo mix, cause you can only obtain a « mono » IR?
so, I think you will get dual mono (twice the same audio signal)

there is so much to discover and experiment with our Fractal gear!
so much, that we can forget to play the guitar!
especially when you're a bedroom player, like me;)

for now, I will try to use "far-field IRs" to setup amp! (like stated by Cliff)

good luck.

I think there is no simple answer to that, the amp in the room and the far field topics are beaten to death here on the forum, elsewhere on the net, and discussed by people much more knowledgeable and educated than me,

but:

from the Axe FXIII manual .p33
grid space and cable is stereo. You don't need separate left and right paths!

from the Axe FXIII manual .p35
on the AxeFx III grid, each component is STEREO. Shunts, cables, and most blocks are stereo in/stereo out.
The grid allows up to six full stereo paths, and you do NOT necessarily need to create parallel grid paths for stereo!
Some blocks internally process audio in mono (such as Amp or Drive) but even these generally have
Input Select and Output Balance parameters.

from my part, I‘ve never seen stereo IR

may be, because we listen to the sound with two ears
and we need two audio signals (A = L & B = R) to have a stereo field perception

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Mono_versus_stereo

Axe FXIII manual : Cab block diagram .p66

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound

in this case, once these irs are imported into a stereo cab block or into two cab blocks, with the right pan setting, I think you will get two identical monophonic signals, because the Irs obtained with the mix generated with CabLab, will be the same,
From my understanding, there isn’t stereo mix, cause you can only obtain a « mono » IR?
so, I think you will get dual mono (twice the same audio signal)

especially when you're a bedroom player, like me;)

for now, I will try to use "far-field IRs" to setup amp! (like stated by Cliff)

good luck.
thank you for such a wealth of a response... you are very kind in humoring my muses! I very much appreciate that.

"I think you will get two identical monophonic signals" I think you may have missed a small detail of my post. I was saying that I would add in a final "left" far field, export, then add in a "right" far field(distinct) and export. The main cab impulses will be mono... but the final farfield will be a stereo pair. There are a number of libraries that have left/right impulses of the room.

fwiw - this is no longer a question for me as last night I did discover that cab lab is not really setup to do stereo... but I did it as I described and created a Left and then Right impulse and imported that into axefxiii and panned left/right on the cab. seems to be a fine work-a-round... just can't audition it in stereo like you can with mixir2. arguably a waste of resources as we have stereo reverbs in axe fx... but it's fun! thank you for answering.

especially when you're a bedroom player, like me

hehe, very true for me as well - truer words have never been spoken. I go thru stages where I'm consumed by minutia... then I play and enjoy the fruits of my labor for a while... but I have the defect of thought in that I believe that half the fun is the journey, so I let myself enjoy whatever I enjoy. That is the beauty/benefit of being fully amateur!

yeah mistermikev!
Nice to meet you!
lets the music flow in our veins and let us have fun!
thanks to you, I reviewed my stereo and other things too,
have a good time playing music, or something else,
I wish you all the best!

yeah mistermikev!
Nice to meet you!
lets the music flow in our veins and let us have fun!
thanks to you, I reviewed my stereo and other things too,
have a good time playing music, or something else,
I wish you all the best!
well, if yer learnin' things from me then... "yer doin' it wrong!" hehe. cheers

Back
Top Bottom