Question about "Boost" and "Saturation" "Switches" in advanced amp parameters

Ericbr1

Inspired
HI Fractal , or Fractal experts.. Every amp I use on this has "Boost" and "Saturation" options in the advanced amp parameters and I'm wondering if on certain amps they really represent something OR are they just designed as a fixed db /gain boost, and a fixed saturation like bringing in a certain type of diode distortion? The options work incredibly great for my needs on certain amps and although I'm a guitarist, not engineer, just curious how they're designed? Eric

The boost function it's identical to turning input trim to 4.0 from 1 (or multiplying the current value with four).

The saturation switch corresponds to a popular (real) amp mod. I have forgotten the technical details. I believe they are in the wiki and maybe even the manual.

I believe Cliff has stated previously the Boost is a 6dB boost at the input of the amp block. The Saturation should be a set of shunt clipping diodes to ground. This is usually following a Cathode follower just prior to the tonestack in the real amps, but I don't know where Cliff has placed it in the signal chain of the Axe.

edit: sorry should be 12dB boost

Last edited:
I believe Cliff has stated previously the Boost is a 6dB boost at the input of the amp block. The Saturation should be a set of shunt clipping diodes to ground. This is usually following a Cathode follower just prior to the tonestack in the real amps, but I don't know where Cliff has placed it in the signal chain of the Axe.

I have a MIke Fortin modded Jcm800 that has the "Jose" mods with diode clipping and sort of assumed that might be what the 'saturation' feature might be designed as. hmmm. So if I'm understanding the boost right, it's exactly the same as using a "Filter Block with a 6db boost and set as 'Null'? (I do that with a lot of my presets anyway, but this would save having to use the filter block.. )

Edit: Just found on the WIKI it says 12db.. So yep Filter Block /Null at 12db would be the same, but Filter Block can be controlled variably. . ( I use that all the time to vary my gain on my programs)

The boost function it's identical to turning input trim to 4.0 from 1 (or multiplying the current value with four).

The saturation switch corresponds to a popular (real) amp mod. I have forgotten the technical details. I believe they are in the wiki and maybe even the manual.

I just found the Ax8 Wiki (never even realized there was one) . . I see it's a 12db boost or the same as putting input trim at 4.. .Interesting. THanks, ERic

I have a MIke Fortin modded Jcm800 that has the "Jose" mods with diode clipping and sort of assumed that might be what the 'saturation' feature might be designed as. hmmm. So if I'm understanding the boost right, it's exactly the same as using a "Filter Block with a 6db boost and set as 'Null'? (I do that with a lot of my presets anyway, but this would save having to use the filter block.. )

Edit: Just found on the WIKI it says 12db.. So yep Filter Block /Null at 12db would be the same, but Filter Block can be controlled variably. . ( I use that all the time to vary my gain on my programs)

Indeed. As I prefer a lower Boost setting (less than 12 dB), I use a Filter block instead (directly before the Amp), set to Null, with Level at 6 dB. Also much easier to set it on/off per scene.

Back
Top Bottom