Question about blues/crunchy amps (Dumble, Fuchs, Blues Jr, etc) and their cabs

Poparad

Power User
My experience with amps before the AxeFX was playing either very clean amps like Fenders, or high gain amps like Marshalls. The in between ones with a bit of grit have me a little confused on the Axe. I've never played one of these in real life, but I always assumed they'd be fairly bright, but it seems to me that the matching cabs for many of these amps are extremely bass heavy and not bright at all. Is this how they're supposed to be, or am I doing something wrong? I've been toying with either the factory presets, or with the "Amps and Cabs" Zip file of presets I found around here somewhere, as well as some IRs of the corresponding cabs.

I think many amps start that way in the showroom. I tend to think of how it should sound... But forgetting how it was modded and customized when I heard somewhere before. Also, many sounds truly develop when your ears begin bleeding. Tubes need to be pushed... off or loud.

I use the EQ on the amp and sometimes advance settings such as SAG. But still need the power amp to react. Fryette 2-50-2 w/ Mesa 2x12 cab has worked for me. YMMV

Rock on

My experience with my Dumble clone was that it was pretty balanced although much darker than say a Super Reverb or an AC15. The kind of cool trick that those amps can do is get quite distorted but keep clarity between the notes and strings. It ended up not being my cup of tea. Just my two cents.

I you want a bright mid-gain amp, try the matchless. Very tasty.

The Matchless was my favorite amp at V7/8, V9 it became something I just lost taste for....completely different for me.
2 things:

-Everyone's definition of 'mid gain' is different.
-This is all just carping until you talk about your environment too. If you're on a Strat, then 'mid gain' is EXTREMELY different than 'mid gain' on a Lester.

Tele: Top Boost lots of pop in gain. Use the factory preset and tweak.
Lester: The Super (4x10) sounds awe-inspiring to me...gritty snap that cleans up with volume.

Cliff two rock tone matches have been eye opener for me. I can barely play other amps now (with a Strat).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom