question about blending two amps

gabsonuro

i have found a preset that i really like using two friedman HBE's (one a middy gain and one a low end saturation gain) through different cabs, but i am wondering if there is an easy way to make them both equal volume. The lower gain one is much quieter and the high gain one is much louder. also should i pan them left/right or have them both centered?

Good question, I could also benefit from some screen shots and/or a video about building great sounding 2 amp and 2 cab presets with fw 19. Thanks!!

Here is what I do (not a pro player...)
I use 2 paths which I basically set up where the 1st patch is on set up and the second patch is one that gets added/blended. This is a Clean Double Verb by itself and then the ODS adds drive but the Double Verb stays on so its more texture. you blend and set volumes with the vol/pan blocks. the filter at the end is used to add 3db boost for scenes 4 and 8. the mixer allows to set the stereo to mono and is where I would assign to vol pedal. Fx loop lets output 2 go to my CLR and output 1 goes to the mixer/pa. ( I have upgraded just haven't had a chance to update preset names)
Greg

Dual Amp Cab.JPG

i have found a preset that i really like using two friedman HBE's (one a middy gain and one a low end saturation gain) through different cabs, but i am wondering if there is an easy way to make them both equal volume. The lower gain one is much quieter and the high gain one is much louder. also should i pan them left/right or have them both centered?

I am usually the one asking for techy advice for stuff like this, even though I have been using the AXE for 8 years now,... anyway, I have a couple of presets with 2 amps and if you go to the utility page and page over you will see a graph that shows the peak levels and you use the A and B knobs to turn the individual amps up and down.

Here is what I do (not a pro player...)
I use 2 paths which I basically set up where the 1st patch is on set up and the second patch is one that gets added/blended. This is a Clean Double Verb by itself and then the ODS adds drive but the Double Verb stays on so its more texture. you blend and set volumes with the vol/pan blocks. the filter at the end is used to add 3db boost for scenes 4 and 8. the mixer allows to set the stereo to mono and is where I would assign to vol pedal. Fx loop lets output 2 go to my CLR and output 1 goes to the mixer/pa. ( I have upgraded just haven't had a chance to update preset names)
Greg

View attachment 26692

I like that Greg. Can I download that from the exchange or can you send it to me?

Gabsonuro,

Your easiest solution for adjusting the balance of the 2 amps is by changing the Output Level parameter in the amp block (NOT Master Volume!).

As far as panning goes, it really depends on how you're using the sound (the musical context that you're trying to fit it in), but in general a hard-panned L-R mix would give you a bigger sounding tone, whereas a 20/20 pan would probably make it sound more focused. I generally wouldn't pan both completely center, in order to allow the differences in tone to be more distinct, but that's a personal preference. Play around with different degrees of panning spread and go with what sounds good to you in the given musical context.

I forgot to mention that when in path 1 the volume blocks are off and only engaged when the 2 one is activated (scenes 5-8 )

I am posting a Medium gain patch that you might like that uses factory cabs and shows the routing better in this screenshot:
1. Go to the mixer block and set it to stereo to get the separation/stereo effects. When I play out its always set to mono.
2. Undo the modifier in the mixer master level as its set to extrn 1
3. This is designed for my Ibanez Rg with Humbuckers (H-S-H config) Paf Joe in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge and Fender Noiseless in the middle
4. Output 1 and 2 are set to noon (12 oclock) so there should be plenty of headroom

Cheers 8)
Greg

Medium gain.JPG

Attachments

• HBMM-J35Plex800-19.00.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Bluesmostly,
here is the HB CleanCrunch patch ;)
I took the modifier off the mixer (vol pedal - extrn 1) and also set it to stereo so you can just plug and play.
and by output 1 and 2 I mean the levels knobs on the front of the AxeFx II.
And these are created on Axe Fx II...

Attachments

• HBCCr-TwinDumble-19.00.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom