Question about 100V vs 120V

SweetPete

Inspired
Guys,

Will a 100V 50/60hz rack FX device (Boss) made for Japan work here in the USA? Or do I need some type of voltage converter?

Guys,

Will a 100V 50/60hz rack FX device (Boss) made for Japan work here in the USA? Or do I need some type of voltage converter?
Depends on its power supply. Some newer gear can take anything from 100VAC to 240VAC. Most stuff cannot. Best bet, to be safe, is to get a "vintage voltage adapter", or build one out of a 120VAC:20VAC filament transformer....

In my USAF days I had a practice amp I picked up in Japan, 100v. I used a transformer to drop the supply down. That said, your unit might run ok on 110 or 115. Pretty much all audio electronics run on DC supplies anyhow. So it would depend on whether or not the DC supply in your unit can handle the higher input. FWIW I ended up just plugging it straight into normal outlets here in the states and it was ok. The difference is only 15% or so depending on your local voltage.

But…. I can’t recommend doing that because it’s possible it might kill your equipment. Whether you try it or not is solely your decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom