Queensryche “Operation Mindcrime” Preset and Medley

Heinzi

Inspired
Hey Guys,

currently I´m wrirting a workshop about Operation: Mindcrime and found very few about the gear that was used in the recording process.
I read they used the ESPs with Evans pUs, 800s with V30 Cabs a Roland Jazz Chorus and Yamaha and Roland 19" Gear.

Does anybody have some more infos about their gear? I´m also curious on how to get that trebly, agressive sound.
I mean, nearly everybody used more or less the same gear back in the days, still OM sounds very different, and i was wondering why that is so and what the producer did.
Thanks in advance!

All I remember is Marshalls with tubes other than the usual EL34's and 6L6's. I remember that from an interview with the original guitar players in a magazine from back then. Can't remember which Marshall heads they were and what tubes they were using though.

All I remember is Marshalls with tubes other than the usual EL34's and 6L6's. I remember that from an interview with the original guitar players in a magazine from back then. Can't remember which Marshall heads they were and what tubes they were using though.
6550s are fairly common in Marshalls shipped to the US after some point in the '70s, IIRC.

Great thanks!
I fooled a bit around but the Friedman seems to bring me closer to the recorded Queensryche sound than the 800s they supposed to use. I really think that the producer had some hands on the guitar sound to make it so distinctive so maybe i should leave the idea just to recreate the original setup!
I´ll keeo you postetd - the workshop will contaion tabs and playbacks and i´ll send the patches - in the end it´s just a rhythm and a soaking wet clean preset

Awesome - love the Mindcrime stuff. I think it souds great - was listening and checking something - some of the rhythm stuff may need a bit more slapback/reverb. Listen to 1:53 on "Revolution Calling" - there's a lot of room or short delay in that sound that gives it more heft. See what you think.

Love your other tutorials too - great stuff!

Can we use anything to make an fx ii version , this sound awesome, if not someone enlighten me on the amps and cabs used
Cheers
G \../

Ok, here we go - the video with the free tabs and playbacks in link below (if you watch in yt, you can also skip directly to titles) - enjoy your daily dose of nostalgia - preset is in the post above.

Stellar job on the replication of a great classic album guitar sound...Loved every section. What's next Rage for Order ??? Huge fan here and respect man...If you do get the tracks put together I would love to sing anything off Op Mindcrime using my Axe FX III as a vocal processor...Let me know if you are down with it...Good playing too and accurate...

Last edited:
Sounds killer can’t wait to check out the preset, Mindcraime is still one of my favorites as well.

This was I believe the Empire era racks from an old GW feature.

1-E0-EE1-CD-B0-A5-47-F4-A687-58339-F28-FAA0.jpg

Great work Heinzi! Thanks for the PDFs as well. Re-remembering how to play this GREAT album! The clean scene is every 80's clean sounds. Almost sounds Electric Acoustic.

Back
Top Bottom