Queens of the Stone Age - Villains tones

Lvdb

Hey guys,

Don't have an initial offerings but I'm about to attempt tackling some of the tones of the album that just released. Anyone have thoughts on, for example, the single titled "How you used to do" amp model/chain wise? Or any parts of the new album? Really respect Josh Homme for protecting his mojo as much as he does, not gonna stop me from seeing what I can learn from and about it.

Side note; ecstatic to see Jon Theodore drumming for an awesome group once more.

I was actually working on recording a note for note cover of Villains of Circumstance the last two days. Quite a trying experience.
I'll be at the capitol theatre show.... so stoked.
My Josh Homme wanna be tone usually comes from a supertweed or supremo trem, pushed pretty hard, maybe play around with some fuzzes, and it always sounds dirtier than it really is. secret is to have pretty mild pickups, and stay on the neck humbucker.
Closest I can get til they add an ampeg vt22. Or I buy a catalinbread vt pedal.. whatever they call it. Ya know I never tried the ampeg head and tweaked it for guitar.... see what happens. i'll try that tomorrow.

altho their tones of this album are all over the place, thank marc ronson for that.

I'm here for ya though. It's late and i'm going to bed but you can bet i'll be trying to match a lot of the villians tones tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom