Queen Bohemian Rhapsody Tonematch and solo sample

EricGlass

Inspired
Hi everyone.

I made this patch and thought I'd see if anyone wants it. I never liked the Brian May stock presets in processors so I decided to try and make one myself. Note this was designed for humbuckers. Brian used Burns Trisonic single coils wired in series which were a big component of his sound but most of us use humbuckers so this was made for those pups.

Download Link http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=3003

Last edited:
Very nice job, your bends and vibrato sold it. Love to get the preset, thanks for sharing. :)

Great job - both tone and playing. I'd love to get the preset too and see what you've done to make it sound so good.

Wow, if you said that was a removed take from the real album, I'd believe that! But what's that pitch block doing there, other than sounding funny?

Thanks all.

Wow, if you said that was a removed take from the real album, I'd believe that! But what's that pitch block doing there, other than sounding funny?

If you listen to the actual isolated guitar solo, there is an obvious overtone created from all the mics Brian uses that is creating another interval (I forget which but I think it was a 4th or a 5th) . I used the pitch block to recreate that. It's actually pretty important to the tone although it's subtle and faint.

Note: It's important for this solo's tone but for other Brian May stuff especially rhythm, you could turn it off.

Last edited:
HI Eric, I play in a queen trib act.. and am working on a good all around BM preset. That was very very good !!! I haven't tried your preset yet. How did you get the out of phase tones and that crying tone i call it .. is that via some filtering or flanging? I ask because I have a BM Red Special, and that part of his tone comes from the guitar its self and the out of phase pickups, not from effects.. So when I try presets designed for standard guitars, they don't work well. Just wondered.. I will load up your preset and test it out .. Thanks for posting !!

HI Eric, I play in a queen trib act.. and am working on a good all around BM preset. That was very very good !!! I haven't tried your preset yet. How did you get the out of phase tones and that crying tone i call it .. is that via some filtering or flanging? I ask because I have a BM Red Special, and that part of his tone comes from the guitar its self and the out of phase pickups, not from effects.. So when I try presets designed for standard guitars, they don't work well. Just wondered.. I will load up your preset and test it out .. Thanks for posting !!

Well first of all there is nothing really special about Brian's amp settings, the Vox plays a much smaller part in his tone than people realize. It just had a tighter, more focused bass and compressed sound as well as good gain compared to Marshalls at the time. Now there are tons of amps that do that. The major characteristic elements come from a combo of 3 things, his fingers (obviously), his pups and the Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster. So actually he does use an effect for part of that nasaly, screamish filtered tone. It's a product of the Dallas Rangemaster treble booster as well as the pups primarily. The treble boost block on the AxeFxII is either based on the Rangemaster or something very similar as it produces the same qualities. You can tell how important it is by A/B-ing the patch with the block on and off. If you do a Queen tribute you have to have one of those in your chain. Of course an original would be major bucks but there are lots of great copies being made, I know a friend of mine has an awesome sounding one made by Divided By 13, the Dyna-Ranger Rangemaster Treble Booster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom