Queen again - One Vision/Hammer to Fall

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I just can't stop writing presets with this cool new code. Here's my idea of Queen's "One Vision' and 'Hammer to Fall'. It was built using mild tweaking of the 5153 amp (oh yeah!), just a hair of flange, and fattening Delay.

Built using Axe-Edit 1.0.304 on code 6.01. I did it outside the box with a pair of Tech 21 PE-60's. a PRS McCarty using the bridge humbucker. Mild additional tweaking may be needed for those using other FRFR speakers, oro recording in-the-box.

Enjoy!

Pete (aka PWL)

Oh - here's a tweak I made after uploading: change the flanger to between 30% and 40% mix to taste. Makes it a bit sweeter. Too much flange (>40) may alter the basic sound too radically (well - for me).

Pete

I've been trying to nail down the One Vision tone since the Ultra. I never could get it quite right, though I've gotten close. I'll give yours a try tonight. Thanks for sharing! :)

DLM - Let me know how it works out for you. If you think it needs tweaking, I am all ears. Oh - I think adding flange mix of about 20% max (probably better at 15%) is the rational limit.

Pete

Ok I tried it out. My main comment would be that its way too saturated, which I think has to do with the amp model you used. I also don't think he's using a flanger. I would use a phaser at a low mix, like 5% to give it an edge without too much of an effect. I haven't really worked on my preset since 6.0. I'll do some work on it and if I get it sounding good I'll post it here so you can check it out and see what you think. Definitely not a bad attempt though. Keep working on it. It's a really hard tone to nail down. I've been trying for ages.

Here try this. It's hard to get much out of mixed in guitar, but to me this sounds relatively close. Guitar used to make it is the one in my sig, and it's mixed in headphones so you may need to adjust it a bit. I'm using Brian's amp settings except that I knocked -2.0 off the mid because of the mid drive block. I also knocked the transformer match back to open up the tone some so it was less saturated/compressed sounding. Might still need to play with that a bit. I tried it with a little chorus and a little phaser, but it sounds best with just a bit of reverb and the enhancer and that's it. I also have a separate dry line running straight to the enhancer block, which is similar to what Brian does with his amps.

My guitar is coil tapped, so if you have one that is you can try it tapped and not tapped and see which you prefer.

Anyway, just throwing this out there. If you like it great, if not, that's ok too. Maybe it'll give you some ideas in any case. :)

Last edited:
DLM -

Thanks for the feedback! One area where we may see differently is that I tend to like the sponginess of some compression; others don't. I'm happy to check out your patch and see what you did. I also stepped the SAG up as well as tweaking the XFRMR MATCH. I'm playing a PRS McCarty here, so I also have coil taps that I can use.

Well, if you listen to the song, the guitar isn't really spongy. It's pretty tight and has an edge to it. That's why I knocked back the transformer match some. I agree with you that the sponginess of some compression does sound cool, but my only goal here was to match the tone in this particular song as closely as I could in the time I spent on it, and I just don't hear that in his tone on the song.

I also tried tone matching, but I couldn't get it to sound good. I don't have an isolated track of his guitar in that song to use, so I was trying to use the part at the beginning where he's playing the main riff with nothing behind it. Ideally, I'd love to try it with an isolated track and tone match from where he holds the A chord. That would give the best results for a tone match. Honestly I think we're better off trying to dial it in though rather than tone matching it.

DLM -

I tried your patch last night, and plan to listen to it more carefully tonight. The first thing I noticed is that it appears we are not all that far off on the gain. Mine was saturated (true) but yours also sounded pretty high gain. Like I said, more noodling tonight.

Oh - on the matching... while it's probably not the same exact tone, the beginning of Tie Your Mother Down has some isolated, non-stop guitar playing for the first little bit. If you need a longer sample, you could probably use your DAW/Audacity to loop the first bars.

Pete

Yeah but Tie Your Mother Down is a different tone. It's more low-midrangey and not as bright. I actually have a preset I made to emulate his older Deacy amp style tone. Dunno how good it is, but it sounds fairly close to me. One Vision is a higher gain tone. If you drop the gain on it too much it loses its edge and clarity. The trick is to keep the gain and the edge without losing the clarity, which is why I dropped the transformer match on it. I also tried the treble boost drive with the preset, but I found that the mid boost actually got it WAY closer to the right tone than the treble booster did. I had originally used theAC30 TB sim as well, but I just recently switched to the normal AC30 as it got the tone closer to what I was looking for.

As for the gain and other settings, I found a site online that listed what Brian's amp settings are, so I used those. The Axe II is pretty close to the settings of their real world counterparts now if I remember correctly, so I used those settings as a baseline, and the only thing I did from there was dropping back the mid a bit to compensate for the mid boost drive.

Back
Top Bottom