Quantum for Power Amp/Cab guys

Keg8605

Power User
Curious what the power amp/cab users think about the new Quantum?

I do the direct out1 and power amp cab out 2 setup. With this Quantum I found myself just loving the sound through the cab so much I couldn't stop playing. Definitely noticed an improvement here. I even flattened the Global out 2 eq because there was no need to adjust anything. Normally I prefer the direct sound through my studio monitors ( in which that has also obviously improved) not the case this round. Clearly some amp modeling improvements here.

I didnt have to do too much to my patches bar some volume leveling.

I can definitely hear the "hair" when the guitar volumes are dialed down - also on the note trails. I didnt really know what the term meant to be honest - but now I hear it I know .... For those like me, its the crackle and little "spits" you get when on the edge of breakup where, and the guitar string modulates the "valves" response bounce's between just distorting and just not. Its very subtle but very cool and lifelike. My Machete does this -but Ive had lesser valve amps that haven't very well (you know, the ones that go from clean to fully saturated with only a small increase in input signal).

The cleans "appear" to have a slightly more pushed midrange (not more mids in an EQ sense, but the feeling of them being more present?) , a less flubby bass and smoother top end. Again its subtle and could be a "pseudo effect" (as you cant really A/B the firmware directly).

High gain tones - cant really tell you I dont use them much - but Im enjoying the.

All my playing is with amp/cab - not FRFR so that may change things as well.

Last edited:
I've been jamming via power/amp cab and it's the business! No advanced parameters, no geq, just dial in the MV, dial in the tone and you're ready to rock!

Oh man I'm excited now but it's gonna be almost 4 weeks till I get to go through my cab!

I like 20B better for my high gain amps running through a tube power amp and cabs. I haven't tried frfr yet but never liked it as much as my real amp and cabs. I might load quantum back up and try it again but that was my feelings the first two times I loaded it and tried it out.

I like 20B better for my high gain amps running through a tube power amp and cabs. I haven't tried frfr yet but never liked it as much as my real amp and cabs. I might load quantum back up and try it again but that was my feelings the first two times I loaded it and tried it out.

Have you tried resetting the amp block? made a difference for me!

Care to expand? Just curious as this is quite opposite for me. Immediately I'm loving each and every amp model straight into the cab. The bass response with the speaker is just awesome. For me its so much easier. With previous FW's I used to boost 63 and 125 hz in the global eq a bit to get some speaker response going. With this FW its Flat and yet still far better than before. I wonder if now your tube power amp might be adding to much depth or something even. I've long wanted a tube power amp and now I just don't think it would add much anymore.

Power amp + cab users should experience a noticeable improvement. Maybe more so than FRFR users.

This. I took my 2x12 and Matrix with me to rehearsal yesterday, and a beta version of Quantum.
I still prefer the "power amp + cab" setup on occasions where I can turn up the volume.
And for sure, the Axe never sounded better and natural than with Quantum.
Friedman BE at settings which were close to default. Just slightly increased MV and Treble, and Sat engaged for delicious hot-rodded Marshall amp tone.

I'm finding the punch from quantum a little nicer than previous, like the sensation of the 'knock' that comes from the cab is more lively... hard to describe, but at higher volumes it is noticeable I think.

Comparing Authentic to short plate - short plate feels like it is a tiny bit choked in the low end response by comparison. Authentic does feel nicer. I used to use dynamic resonance a lot, but I've taken it off all my high gain patches as it doesn't seem to be needed anymore.

Here's a short clip of my strat with EMG SAs and quantum beta, the old JMP1 model (because I already had a patch for it!). Used iPhone camera. Matrix GT1000FX and two Mesa 2x12s (v30s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a5UW2U_e6E

Back
Top Bottom