Quantum 2.00 has more output clipping? EDIT:SOLVED

ozanerkal

Inspired
Hi all,
(.....this is the original post as it is. For a SOLUTION, please read the fifth&seventh entries on this page written by me.....)

I just updated from Q1.05 to Q2.00 today on my AFXXL.
While I played through my existing presets, I noticed the output clip LED was blinking and the sound was also clipping.

I was not sure if the clipping was there with Q1.05 too.
(Of course I wrote my presets so that they'd not clip, but somewhere in the line of many updates maybe they changed and I wasn't aware)
So I went through my first 50 presets and I ranked the 9 clipping presets from 1 to 5. (5 being the most clipping)
Then I installed Q1.05 back, and did the same thing:
-The average amount of clipping in Q2.00 is 3.66 and the average in Q1.05 is 2.22.
-While 2.00 has 9 clipping presets, 1.05 has only 5 clipping presets.
-And while 2.00 has 5 presets ranked at 5, 1.05 has only 2 presets ranked at 5

Sorry about too much numbers, I'm only trying to make a point.

So is this normal? Did everybody have the same issue with the latest update?

I've previously read this: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/about-clipping.47443/
and it's recommended to lower the level in the amp block. So that's one solution apparently, but still I put this here for Fractal Audio to see and maybe it's some unintended tweak they did and they'll undo it.

Last edited:
I've noticed it's much easier to clip the output now, but I've just started dropping the amp blocks output to compensate and go about my usual tweaks. I figure it's the way things are now

Strange things happen!
After the comments here, I regained the will to load 2.00 and tweak the levels for the clipping presets.
But after the upgrade only, without touching anything else, voila! now only 2 of the previous 9 clipping presets are clipping and I'd rank them as 3/5.
I don't get it, it's the same FW version and everything is the same..
So maybe the first installation was somehow not right and things were corrected with the second installation.
I read stuff like this here. People sometimes say even a second download and second time installation help solve problems. This is the first time something like this has happened to me...

In the Amp block is a knob labeled "Level". If a preset is clipping, turn this counterclockwise.
Thank you FA, and yes that was my intention before my second installation of Q2.00.. but see, the case was, without touching any knob or anything else, the clipping just disappeared right after I installed Q2.00 the second time..

The whole thing happened in this order:
1. I was happy with Q1.05,
2. Upgraded to Q2.00 and found many presets clipping
3. Rolled back to Q1.05 and there was less clipping
4. Upgraded to Q2.00 again and there's now no clipping.. happy again..

So as a conclusion, I say, if you have the same "problem" after 2.00 upgrade, don't rush things and re-tweak levels etc. First I suggest you roll back and do the upgrade again.

Back
Top Bottom