Quality of PRS vs Suhr

Wanted to add that I have a Santana SE PRS and two Suhr Moderns. Obviously the Suhr's are very different in terms of quality, sound and PRICE, but I just wanted to add that the SE line really does have issues with bad pots and poor tuners. I find the SE easy to play and sounds pretty good but the pots and tuners (and probably nut) should be upgraded. Maybe even the bridge with the whammy. The SE's are probably worth the money that they sell for but if you are looking for a quality instrument, I can't endorse the Suhr's enough.

Have a 2003 PRS McCarty (10 top - McCarty burst) that is as good a guitar as I've ever played, and it's one that I will never part with. That being said, I haven't been as impressed with the recent stuff. It seems too, I don't know, "showy" for lack of a better word.

Currently on a Suhr Classic Antique Strat & Tele Style, as well as a couple of Classic Pro Strat Styles. The Suhrs are consistent and just real players. But I'd sell all of them before my McCarty because I think they'd be easy to replace. I know - embrace the contradictions. :)

I had a gold top DGT with birds that I sold last summer for some "living money" and never bonded with that particular one (had a couple of Custom 24s as well). I'm in love the the idea of a DGT. If I can find one that speaks to me, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

For gigging, recording, and teaching, I usually have a Suhr in my hand, but my McCarty is very special. Just my $.02.

Hey Gilesy, I would say maybe check out some of the custom guitar builders on your side of the pond, see if you can pick up something that is comparable to a PRS. Being a lefty already has you at the disadvantage with selection. Going with a custom builder you would more than likely have a better wood selection and you could have a say with the electronics. PRS guitars are really good but you have to hunt to find a really good top and hunt eve longer to find a lefty with a good top :D.

Here is a pic of a CU22 I used to own and this one had a really good top on it.
Hi Sixstring that is an absolute beauty - colour and patterning on the top....really lovely. Some of the 10 tops I referred to did not have the consistency of marking over the whole area.

I have 3 PRS and 1 Suhr. The PRS's are all Core line (not SE, CE or S2) - Signature Limited, SC58 and Custom 22 (10 Top). The quality is fantastic. The Signature Limited and SC58 where both special limited editions so you expect them to be special and they really are. The Suhr is a Pro S1 one and it's also a great guitar. The Suhr came with the traditional style trem that wasn't very good at all, but that's what they used in 2007 when she was built. I sent it to Suhr to get the trem replaced with a Gotoh 510 that they install in newer ones and now it's a really, really good guitar.

In terms of quality, I would have to give a slight, slight edge to PRS, but there's really not a lot in between them. If I could only keep one it would be my PRS Signature Limited, followed by my other PRS's and the Suhr last. But that really only comes down to that I'm much more of a dual humbucker guitar guy and Strats have never really felt as home. I also never owned a Tele and it wouldn't suprise me if I end up with a Suhr Classic T at some point. And that to me is really what it comes down to. If you prefer Strats or Teles, Suhr is the obvious choice. If you prefer dual humbucker guitars, I would pick PRS any day.

I have 3 PRS and 1 Suhr. The PRS's are all Core line (not SE, CE or S2) - Signature Limited, SC58 and Custom 22 (10 Top). The quality is fantastic. The Signature Limited and SC58 where both special limited editions so you expect them to be special and they really are. The Suhr is a Pro S1 one and it's also a great guitar. The Suhr came with the traditional style trem that wasn't very good at all, but that's what they used in 2007 when she was built. I sent it to Suhr to get the trem replaced with a Gotoh 510 that they install in newer ones and now it's a really, really good guitar.

In terms of quality, I would have to give a slight, slight edge to PRS, but there's really not a lot in between them. If I could only keep one it would be my PRS Signature Limited, followed by my other PRS's and the Suhr last. But that really only comes down to that I'm much more of a dual humbucker guitar guy and Strats have never really felt as home. I also never owned a Tele and it wouldn't suprise me if I end up with a Suhr Classic T at some point. And that to me is really what it comes down to. If you prefer Strats or Teles, Suhr is the obvious choice. If you prefer dual humbucker guitars, I would pick PRS any day.

Hi Johan - the new guitar would be to open up new sounds that the Tele and Strat don't give me, so humbucker PRS or Suhr (probably Suhr Modern for something completely different - would not see the point in getting a Suhr strat or tele shape) would be exciting and the way I would go. I don't really use trem (not surprising given the guitars in the stable today) hence simpler the better in that department (even hardtail on the PRS McCarty look interesting).

Thanks for your thoughts! Gilesy

Last edited:
Hi Sixstring that is an absolute beauty - colour and patterning on the top....really lovely. Some of the 10 tops I referred to did not have the consistency of marking over the whole area.

That guitar was a 2005 model and new I think it was $2,499 which is at the upper end of where I want to pay for an instrument. I changed out the stock bridge and the bridge pup (PRS) which was not an inexpensive proposition either.

Now by comparison the Carvin Cali carve top I have now, new sell for around $1,500-1,600 and you get to pick things like pups, fret wire, neck radius, the type of woods, color etc. Some of those options can drive up the cost of the build but the point is you get to chose how your guitar is built.

I bought this 2012 CT624 used from the original owner for $1,300 but it was hardly played, maybe once or twice. With the options that are on it... SS frets, diamond MOP inlays, MOP headstock logo, tung oil back of neck might have sold for around $2K.

Check out the recently reissued CE-24. I have one from the 90's and they're great. You get the workmanship of the higher end models with a bolt on neck, which you may find more comfortable if you're more familiar with Fenders.

Yeah I also have two CE24s and a Custom 24. The build quality is perfect on all of them. I can't decide which one is the best.

image.jpeg Here's a Pic of my Suhr Modern Custom..
I picked out everything and had it built to my specs.. The guitar is a work of art...
I also had the Pickups wired so I can make them all Split depending on what sound I need..
Mahogany Neck
Mahogany Body with Maple Top
Ebony Fretboard

Back
Top Bottom