Quality of everything is getting worse

LoL

Never had problems with my BMWs.
Never drove a Macan but the X3 M40i is probably a serious alternative.

Glad I don’t have to buy a laptop now !

Have a 2009 Macbook Pro that I updated a while back with a SSD and a new battery . Wife uses it for mostly just surfing the net. Little bulky but I like having the DVD drive in case of an emergency and it never leaves the house . Takes a licking..etc..etc

I'm with you. I had switched back to WinPC a few years ago around the time they announced those silly strip Macbooks with still no update to the desktop Mac Pro line. I buckled last year and bought an iMac Pro (and paid dearly) just because a few years of WinPC recurrent shenanigans (drivers, updates, crashes, oh my) was cutting into my workflow to the point of frustration. I've used and built my own PCs since back in the era of DOS 5 and Win 3.1, so it's not like my first trip into WinPC land, but Apple has typically delivered a consistently higher quality with less down time. The iMac Pro is still much better, but even it suffers recurrent hard crashes, most often when using Final Cut, which of all things should be one of the more stable programs. Apple has really lost the plot in many ways since Jobs death. Not that he was responsible for the heavy lifting, but at least he cracked the whip and demanded the best from his company. The most frustrating thing for me is that I'm ready to spend the money on a product if it can deliver on its promises. I often find myself compromising with something inferior just because it's the least inferior of the possible choices.

One reason -- excluding application software -- why Apple HW is more stable is that the hardware configs concerning graphics cards, memory, CPUs and so on, is fixed. This means the integration and regression tests could be done unlike a system that has trillions of configurations.

Apple is also keen on stopping supporting older HW, good or bad, but that also keeps the amount of testing reasonable.

(out of topic) The alfa romeo giulia is (in my opinion) the sexiest car avalaible in europe.
the stelvio is a great looking car too.
Maybe not built as a german car (i own a mercedes), but look a moment at these curves ! (and look at the prices of german cars. They can for sure be well built !)
Only italy can produces such design.
It is sexy, and what man is ready to do for a sexy thing ?

Last word about cars ever for me on this forum : The Gulia is really nice on photos but in real live IMHO a bit "plumb" compared to it's "tinier" sisters.

BTW : " I swear I never had any sex with that car"

I only read the first page so I apologize if this has been said already, and also for the fact that this is technically off topic, but have you ever heard of Eurocom?

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/main()ec

PC’s that cost as much as an apple product, but they have an insanely good reputation, and clearly you’re not afraid of paying for quality when it makes sense.

I worked next door to a computer repair shop for a couple years, and the head guy there used to sing their praises about how they were the only company that could build one better than he could. He was not a humble man either, lol.

I have no idea if the battery life is anything special since I’m always plugged into the wall, and I’m a nut about horsepower, but I bet they have options that are at least adequate.

My stuff has been improving.

Fractal Audio has always rocked.

But it's hard to find quality in this world.

Haha, I very much empathized with so much of this thread. Cliff, thank you SO MUCH for making such an outstanding product. I have considered buying an Axe-Fx III, but my II XL+ still does everything I need it to (and way more than my skill level warrants, but you don't have to be an amazing player to appreciate amazing tone), and you breathed more life into it with the Ares-based firmware. As for the quality of everything else... I'm just happy I got one of the final Mid-2015 MBPs for work when my old one reached EOL. I had nightmares of dongles. The only good thing about the new MPBs is the option of 32GB of RAM. My new EBMM Cutlass is pretty sweet, though.

Many studios lock down their Macs with a stable not-current MacOSX and it works just fine. I have a 2006 MacBookPro that resists to die.

Yeah I know quite a few guys who do that - they have something that is stable and works and have no interest in breaking things with an upgrade till things break. I'm one of those too! The only thing I actually upgrade really is my FAS devices....the rest I just don't have the faith in

Update:
Got my Lenovo X1 Extreme.

Pros:
Great Keyboard
Nice Display (colors were a bit garish at first but turning down saturation in the Intel control panel fixed that)
Fast
Runs Cool
Light
Fingerprint reader makes login easy
Nice build quality

Cons:
Trackpad requires a lot of force for click-and-drag. Maybe it needs to break in.
No function keys to increase/decrease keyboard backlight and backlight defaults to off.
Elastomer coating is a fingerprint magnet.
Not crazy about Windows 10 look-and-feel. Seems every Windows release after XP has gotten worse in this regard.
Battery life is mediocre. About 6-7 hours on a charge.

Update:

Pros:
Great Keyboard
Nice Display (colors were a bit garish at first but turning down saturation in the Intel control panel fixed that)
Fast
Runs Cool
Light
Nice build quality

Cons:
Trackpad requires a lot of force for click-and-drag. Maybe it needs to break in.
No function keys to increase/decrease keyboard backlight and backlight defaults to off.
Not crazy about Windows 10 look-and-feel. Seems every Windows release after XP has gotten worse in this regard.
If it's like the ones I've used, you can quickly turn on keyboard backlight with Fn + spacebar.

I didn't like Win 8 *at all* but Win 10 is a big improvement, IMO.

Things like the integrated search can be super useful... But it does take a while to get acclimated.

Update:

Pros:
Great Keyboard
Fast
Runs Cool
Light
Nice build quality

Cons:
I'm glad it's working out for you, at least for the major stuff. Hope the trackpad smooths out.

For me, the sweet spot was Windows 7. Though after XP, it's gotten progressively more intrusive.

I fought Apple for a while. I have an HP laptop I bought 5 years ago , after Apple refused to help me out on a cracked screen on a MacBook Pro. Might as well say it doesn’t even have a battery. Apple got me back. ( even though I tried not to go back )

Best of luck to you. Stay strong. Lol

I'm fine with the Win10 look and feel. What still irks me is the incompleteness of the experience when it comes to settings and configuration. There's some stuff that is half implemented in the modern settings experience and you still have to go to the old style control panel to do some things.

Launching apps has been fast and easy from Start for a long time. I just hit the Start button and type a couple letters of the app name or .exe and it pops up way quicker than using a mouse or hunting and pecking with on the touch screen.

Back
Top Bottom