Quality of everything is getting worse

FWIW, I've been using Carbon X1 quite heavily for 4 years now with no issues whatsoever. In fact I have three of them in my 3-laptop stand, 2 from customers (for VPN and development mostly), and one my own. All three run Linux. If Linux is not an option (and I do realize it's not for many people), then I'd have to get an MBP. I need a UNIX-like dev environment, which MS _sorta_ provides now, but it's not fully integrated with the OS.

As things stand right now though, I see no reason to upgrade my X1. It has only 2 cores, but I also have several 16-core quad-GPU machines in the garage if I need more than that. The beauty of doing most of my work on the command line is I don't care where the computer is, in front of me, elsewhere in the house, in a datacenter, or on the other side of the globe.

Yup. Nice car. It's a GTS. Pretty quick for a heavy SUV. Gotta a great deal on it because it was a "executive demo".
I purchased and executive demo RR Sport. The executive demo program is a great way to go! In the year that I've owned my Mac Pro I feel as if I've spent as much on the peripherals as I spent on the laptop.

The main problem is pricing.

My first Apple laptop purchased around 1998 was $4,000and lasted a decade. Today's laptops have far more speed and features for $2,000, but inflation has made the money worth 25% less. If they could get $6,000 perhaps things would be different.

I don't think they would be any different. I think Apple is getting ready to ditch Intel in favor of their own chips. The chips in the latest iPads are almost as fast as Core i5 and the trajectory is still pretty steep: they've put together the world's best silicon team in-house. In order to get people to buy the new hotness, they'll have to differentiate it somehow. My bet is the laptops will be impossibly thin while being on par with Intel perf-wise, and have much better battery life. Hence all this bullshit with super-thin, yet clicky keyboard, thin lid and screens, and the merciless removal of ports.

That is, assuming they give a damn about the Mac at all nowadays: they don't make as much money on it as they used to.

Back
Top Bottom