AFIII Quad Tape Delay - Deep Dive

try attaching a square wave lfo to the motor speed (damping at zero, range 1 to 2) and set the tempo of the lfo to 1/2 a bar or 1 bar. set all four delays tempo synced to very long times with lots of feedback. add a dual delay (also tempo synced) after the tape delay. douse liberally with reverb. play in time with the tempo. lose 3 hours.

try attaching a square wave lfo to the motor speed (damping at zero, range 1 to 2) and set the tempo of the lfo to 1/2 a bar or 1 bar. set all four delays tempo synced to very long times with lots of feedback. add a dual delay (also tempo synced) after the tape delay. douse liberally with reverb. play in time with the tempo. lose 3 hours.
I know what I'm doing today!

yeah, man! we'll make a textural guitarist of you yet!

seriously though, nice job! personally, i might have left the drive at default, it's pretty crunchy, but still sounds boss. the great thing is that by changing the delay times, the lfo time, or even your playing techniques, you can generate tons of different stuff with this idea. if you want something less busy, then simply mute two of the delay lines, or use the stereo tape delay with some offset.

This has evolved into one of the cooler threads of recent times. as it is my birthday today I feel justified in begging for a III preset with some of these MTD blocks and controller settings.......I’m really digging how collaborative efforts between already-skilled FAS users have produced really cool stuff for us all to hear and use recently.....thanks again mates.

This has evolved into one of the cooler threads of recent times. as it is my birthday today I feel justified in begging for a III preset with some of these MTD blocks and controller settings.......I’m really digging how collaborative efforts between already-skilled FAS users have produced really cool stuff for us all to hear and use recently.....thanks again mates.
Happy Birthday bradlake:D

Happy birthday mate! Here's the patches. Just drop in the TV Mix 2 cab and go.

Attachments

• 075_Tape Loops.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 076_Tape Loops 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
yeah, man! we'll make a textural guitarist of you yet!

seriously though, nice job! personally, i might have left the drive at default, it's pretty crunchy, but still sounds boss. the great thing is that by changing the delay times, the lfo time, or even your playing techniques, you can generate tons of different stuff with this idea. if you want something less busy, then simply mute two of the delay lines, or use the stereo tape delay with some offset.

It's a totally new world for me and incredible amounts of fun. Thanks so much for sharing all your insights too :)

Very cool thread....

One trick that I really enjoy is assigning parameters like feedback and motor speed and mix to external expression knobs. Mind you, I said knobs, not pedals. Why ? Because with knobs it is a lot easier to adjust multiple parameters at the same time, in different directions, same direction etc, so you can get some really wild stuff, and almost play it like an instrument, letting it swell into self osc feedback, changing the speed/pitch etc.

With 6.01 FW you can now assign knobs to the performance page on the front panel, which also works well for this, BUT, the response of the Axe knobs, while great for finely tweaking parameters for amp settings etc, doesn't really feel the same as smoothly moving pots.

Luckily, its really easy to put together a little knob box for like $10 in parts as a DIY project. I actually need to open mine up and figure out if I can easily wire into some toggle switches, then what could be done is have my expression PEDALS connected, OR , my expression knob box, depending on what I want to do.

I just discovered that @AlGrenadine apparently recently (?) upgraded FracTool to allow accurate conversion of FX BLKs from II >III...that allows us to
Easily convert @simeon ‘s legendary delay, pitch , and synth blocks and presets and use them in our IIIs ..which will instantly transform you to a novice textural whiz...and the recent strides in controller options will make them even more fun. (The link to these is in Simeon’s sig above in this thread.)

Goes without saying no doubt, and I know many have already donated, but for those newer users, Al and Simeon both graciously have provided some great effects settings and conversion software for no charge. If you get some use out if it, consider throwing them a few bucks in appreciation, so they can keep working on making some awesome tools.

Back
Top Bottom