QSC KW122 Review

Slate

So after having this for 2 weeks and just switching from multi tube amp and multi Marshall cabs (different speaker types) I can say going to FRFR is going to be nice.

The Birch cab keeps it warm still and if I do not look at the speaker I sometimes do not know it’s not my Marshall cabs. There is no doubt a learning curve as I find myself tweaking here and there a bit each day.

The biggest change is cranking it up. Seems the highs come out more on the FRFR when louder. Not necessarily a good thing but can be tweaked.

In a perfect world I would have a wall of tube amps and guitar cabs powered by the axe. But in today’s changing landscape it seems in-ears, low stage volume and good front house sound, going FRFR is a logical choice. You can have a sweet sounding amp/cab and the sound guys hooks up a SM57 and lazily eq it or place the mic on the cab, it could sound like crap in front. With FRFR at least you helped elimiate some of this.

Having a Birch Speaker like the KW122 I believe helped my transition to FRFR.

I love the portability of this. 3 Handles, not very heavy, well made. Sounds great as a wedge or standing up. Sometime I am amazed how it replaced a 4x12 cab and still sound real real close.

For anyone switching to FRFR they need to weigh out their needs because there is no doubt some sacrifice, albeit small, to the purists.

This is another thread, but the difference in FRFR, CD sound to Cab sound has a lot to do with patches and the volume you play them. A lot of killer patches like the EVH patches people create on You Tube sound killer. When you d/l them and play them through pro tools they sound killer. But when you crank them up through a FRFR or even a tube/cab they starting sounding bad. Stage volume is about moving air and fitting in your freq range (guitar vs. bass, drums) and I think these You Tube patches do not do that well. At least in my experience.

So for me the move to FRFR is a good once and the perks far outweigh the minuses. I purchased the QSC KW122 mainly to edit patches, jam at home. I will bring it to gigs in the rare event I may need it for something.

There is pretty much nothing I would change in the KW122. They really thought this speaker out when they were designing it.

Thanks for the insight. I ordered a pair of these speakers last week and hoping that they arrive shortly.

I have set up some patches which I believe will work well with them. Being an ex-tube/cab purist, the transition is going to be interesting. I plan to use them for everything (except studio, where I have my monitors set up).

Nice to hear that you are happy with the KW122. I also chose them for the birch!

I read a lot of stories about how there is rarely ever any time to dial in good stage tone at most live gigs. The result is that guitarists have learned to settle for whatever backline the venue provides, mic'ed and EQ'ed to suit a full roster of different acts with minimal changes. It is all about living with the compromises imposed by the small-venue live gig culture. But now, with the Axe-FX and FRFR, you don't have to settle for lousy FOH sound. You can be in more or less complete control of your sound. Set up your patches and go direct to the board. Stage volume doesn't have to be about moving air anymore. It can, and should, be just about fitting in your freq range. And with a direct feed from Axe-FX to the house, this should be easier than ever (hell, bring your own wedge and don't rely on the house foldback).

I just got a K122 from sweetwater today and im having a bit of trouble dialing in my 80s hair metal patches ,when i palm mute/ chug on theow E it sounds a bit flubby or like the speaker is rattling, mabe im just not used to it yet , ive been using a Yamaha dbr15 and i never hear that at all , i know volume and levels have alot to do with it mabe the signal is clipping ? It sounds good otherwise, the cleans really shine on the Qsc k122 , any tips on setting input levels on both the AX8 and QSC K122 would be greatly appreciated

Wow... 8 year old Necro thread revival! All 3 of the previous posters have not visited in 4 1/2 years, so I don't think they'll chime in.

Try raising the Low Cut in your Cab block - most likely your 15" speakers were handling excessive bass better than the 12" do.

I just got a K122 from sweetwater today and im having a bit of trouble dialing in my 80s hair metal patches ,when i palm mute/ chug on theow E it sounds a bit flubby or like the speaker is rattling, mabe im just not used to it yet , ive been using a Yamaha dbr15 and i never hear that at all , i know volume and levels have alot to do with it mabe the signal is clipping ? It sounds good otherwise, the cleans really shine on the Qsc k122 , any tips on setting input levels on both the AX8 and QSC K122 would be greatly appreciated
Make sure to eq out the low end in the cab block. 85-125Hz to taste.

Wow... 8 year old Necro thread revival! All 3 of the previous posters have not visited in 4 1/2 years, so I don't think they'll chime in.

Try raising the Low Cut in your Cab block - most likely your 15" speakers were handling excessive bass better than the 12" do.
Thanks for the info, ill give it a shot and see if it helps

Definitely heavier than the usual, since it's wood not plastic. The pitch is that it'll sound better because of that, but no, no experience with it myself.

Back
Top Bottom