QSC K's or Reaktors for rehearsal studio use

randombastage

Experienced
I'm trying to decide between a pair of QSC K series or a pair of reaktor passive cabinets.
I will use them primarily for rehearsal and would like to play back backing tracks of second guitar, bass, drums etc. through them along with my live guitar sound.
Would there be any advantage sound wise to one or the other choice. The room is approximately 15 x 20 and I'll be within 5 feet of the cabs half the time at least in case that matters.

Thanks!

i would go with the k12s. i use to have reactors and sold it for a k12 and i dont miss the reactor at all

Fatoni, did you have the old Reactor (not full range) or the new Reactor series?

I'm trying to make this decision as well, and would just love to hear an opinion.

It's a tough decision to make because you can't walk into a GC and demo both at the same time.

I have a QSC 122i....and I like it...but I'm just thinking about grabbing a K12 or Reactor instead.

I play hard rock/metal....don't know if that would sway your opinion of which cab is better.

I demo's all three k8, k10 and k12 yesterday at GC in North Dallas. At the store, I used my Rick Turner RS6 electro acoustic guitar, which is very balanced and I know the sound very well. All eq/voice settings on the monitors were set flat. If you audition these at GC, make sure you set them flat. Also, I really don't think you can audition these type monitors with playing recorded music through them. You need to use an instrument you know well. Started with the k10. It was very balanced, good tight low end, punchy when I wanted it to be. Very impressed first try. Moved to the k12. The k12 was not as balanced to my ears and had a "box" or tubby sound over the k10. Did not care for the k12. The k8 was balanced but sounded smaller than the k10. The k10 seemed ideal. Brought the k10 home and plugged the axefx in. Big, even sound. It can get window shaking loud too. Very happy. I also mix music and have Barefoot mm27 monitors to mix on. I previously dialed in my axefx presets using the Barefoot monitors. The presets translated well to the k10. More surprising was that I dialed in presets with the k10 and then checked them on the Barefoot monitors. The presets stayed true to what I got on the k10. The presets I use are a Fender Deluxe clean setup, a Marshall ish overdrive setup (acdc type), an acoustic preset for my RS6. All 3 worked great. I play in two bands. One band we have 4 Bose L2's. The other just a standard PA/sub setup. I will check to see how the k10 translates to the Bose later this week. With the other band (large 20+ people), I will use it at rehearsals and as a floor monitor since it is designed to lay back like a monitor also. Great size, weight and sound. Love it so far.

Stay tuned, my opinion may change as I get more mileage on it.

I'm wondering, if working inside of say 8 feet of them most of the time which would have a better spread? For example, with studio monitors you really need to be seated with your head in the sweet spot or the sound quality changes drastically...
I need to be able to stand up, sit down, move around as the music moves me.

Also, on a different tack, once the composing/rehearsal phase is over if I wanted to play a small room (say coffee house size) would either pair be better suited for supporting live vocals and guitar as a small PA setup? I guess the QSC are obviously up to the task (assuming the 10" is big enough since I'm leaning toward them due to the greater spread compared to the 12's) but how about the Reactors?

I find that the k10 has exellent dispertion in that range. I walk around a lot with wireless... Big sweet spot.

barrchord - did you try the QSC hpr122i? I'm curious how the QSC K series compares for use with an Axe? I have the hpr122i and I "like" it, but there is a certain nasally sound that I'm having a hard time dialing out....I'm wondering if the K series sound any different? Thanks for any info.

No experience with the hpr122i. With my audio engineer "ears" on, I detect no pronounce frequency humps from the monitor. By nasal, I assume you mean 900 to 2k hz range. I have not had this monitor out into the real world yet, or checked what I dialed in on the presets against a PA setup or the Bose L2's as I mentioned in my previous response. I would get one and try it out- so far I am very happy. BTW- I have been playing guitar for about 30 years, coming from just about every tube amp to the axefx. I like this combo.

i had the atomic fr. it sounds better/realer than the k12 in all honesty. you do make a trade off by loosing some low end tightness. if you play rock like a tele through a vox, my choice would be the atomic. if you get any harder than that (dual rec, slo, bogner etc.) you really cant afford to loose the bottom end. to me, the small amount of livelyness isnt worth loosing the bottom end. if you have any specific questions let me know

Fatoni, you're saying you'd recommend the K10 for heavier tones (recto/bogner)? Just want to make sure I understood your post. I keep going back and forth on Atomic Passive with Rocktron Velocity 300....or a pair of K10's (or K12's). Was very curious if somebody compared the K10 or K12 to the older QSC hpr122i powered 12's. I have a pair of the hpr122i's for my acoustic PA, and I've been working on getting my Axe to sound right through them...and I'm wondering if I'm struggling too hard because the box just isn't a great match for the Axe....or if others think it's a great speaker and equal (or better) than the K10/K12's, and I should just keep working on my tone through the hpr122i's.

thanks for any info

barrchord said:
No experience with the hpr122i. With my audio engineer "ears" on, I detect no pronounce frequency humps from the monitor. By nasal, I assume you mean 900 to 2k hz range. I have not had this monitor out into the real world yet, or checked what I dialed in on the presets against a PA setup or the Bose L2's as I mentioned in my previous response. I would get one and try it out- so far I am very happy. BTW- I have been playing guitar for about 30 years, coming from just about every tube amp to the axefx. I like this combo.

Please let us know how the K compare to the Bose L2 ... I'm quite curious about those so I look forward on getting your opinion on that !

i dont know about the k10 as i havent tried it, but i would recommend the k12 over the reactor for heavy tones.

I am not comparing the K10 to the Bose L2. Completely different uses and application The k10 is what I use at home/rehearsals to play through and dial in my patches. Also use as a floor monitor when playing through large pa systems. My goal was to try to get something that would translate well to a typical pa and also the bose l2. The large band (20 people) played Saturday night. Large pa, lots of floor monitors etc. The K10 patches translated very well to the stage pa's/floor monitors. Maybe just some global eq to cut some mud from the room. I used the k10 as my private floor monitor and sent another feed from the axefx to the main board/monitors. Everything worked very well.. I will probably be playing with the other band using the Bose this weekend. Also have another event this Friday night to play at- another PA system. Will report back next week... The music is contemporary praise and worship.

Why would the QSC K-series sound better for heavy music than the Reactors? Somebody please fill me in, I'm going through all of this right now myself.

my fr atomic just couldnt keep the low end tight enough or heavy enough. there are tricks to reel it back in but you always end up making compromises. i dont know if its the headroom or cab design or even the speakers intended use but imo the k12 is absolutely better than the atomic for metal. in fact imo i would take the k12 9 out of 10 times.

Back
Top Bottom