QSC K12's

Jerry K.

Experienced
I just got a pair of QSC K-12's. I gotta say, they sound pretty good. I will do more playing tomorrow but initial reaction is they are pretty kick ass!

Any chance you will get to post clips in the near future? I have heard great things and bad things about those and I'm definitely torn. :) Something like that would be a great solution for me to use FRFR.

What were you using before?

I will try to post a few clips over the weekend. I have used the Atomics, JBL Eons, a Marshall Cab as well as Studio monitors. I like the FRFR the best, I will provide more info soon.

I will try to post a few clips over the weekend. I have used the Atomics, JBL Eons, a Marshall Cab as well as Studio monitors. I like the FRFR the best, I will provide more info soon.

Wow, that is really saying something if you have used some of those other options. Just curious, I thought the Atomics, JBL Eons, and Studio monitors were all FRFR as well, so what is the big difference? I must not understand FRFR. :)

I currently use two Marshall cabs so I definitely am interested in seeing how it compares to those. BTW, what amp did you use when running into the Marshall cab?

Just curious, I thought the Atomics, JBL Eons, and Studio monitors were all FRFR as well,

I was comparing them to the Marshall. The Marshall sounds good as well but it is to much work trying to get the Marshall patches sounding good and then work on FRFR patches as well. I used a QSC amp that I had been using for a pair of Passive Atomics.

I was comparing them to the Marshall. The Marshall sounds good as well but it is to much work trying to get the Marshall patches sounding good and then work on FRFR patches as well. I used a QSC amp that I had been using for a pair of Passive Atomics.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Just got back from playing a moderately loud Jazz gig with the Axe II and just one of the QSC's and no PA. All I can say is it sounded fantastic, tons of headroom. I will post a video and patch soon. I think the clean sounds are much harder to get loud, I was somewhat apprehensive going into the gig and I almost took my amp (fear of the unknown). I can certainly recommend these speakers.

seems like a love them or hate them type mentality. i get along with mine, actually really digging what i'm getting at the moment.

Yeah, I've really never gotten where the hate comes from. I've had my pair for over three years and I get a great sound from them.

When I went looking for FRFR options back then I kind of expected the typical crispy, harsh treble so many PA's I've heard in the past. But the K12's were super smooth. Great clarity...get REAL loud with no break up.

In the three years since, many other options have come up. I haven't heard these. But I have a Fryette 2/50/2 with cabs also.

I mostly play through the K12's. They just so easy and so consistent.

So I take it that one QSC K12 sounds almost as good as having two? I'd probably only be able to get one for now and just don't want to miss out on anything.

I use one or two K10 speakers depending on the gig. Definitely watch the low and high end with the K series, but if you do that they are a pleasure to work with for guitar and axe.

As a vocal/full band speaker they sound great because we want those lows and high for the general sound, but I feel they are very similar to how a sound man would mix a live show anyway.

I considered getting "flatter" monitors for the axe, but then I probably wouldn't cut lows and highs... Then it would be too boomy and bright for the FOH.

Many gigs on many FOH systems, I've found when I shape my tones for the K series, it generally sounds great already in the FOH without EQ.

Of course, always listen to your guitar the same way your audience will listen to it. Your on stage sweet spot may be magical, but if you are a buzz saw in the mains, no one will like you.

Been using 2 K 12's for around a year now and no complaints. They may not be the very best option, but they're affordable, very, very loud, and they sound great. So much better than the power amp guitar cab.

Been using 2 K 12's for around a year now and no complaints. They may not be the very best option, but they're affordable, very, very loud, and they sound great. So much better than the power amp guitar cab.

How much do you lose by going with one speaker instead of two?

How much do you lose by going with one speaker instead of two?

Not much. Just any stereo texture you may have had in a patch. Most people wouldn't notice.

Just don't expect a single K12 to replace a dual 4x12 stack. I think that is where some of the folks dissing the K12's are coming from.

I play guitar, acoustic, baritone, and bass through the K12's...they all sound great. But, for what it's worth, I don't play metal so I don't know if K12's will play that.

Not much. Just any stereo texture you may have had in a patch. Most people wouldn't notice.

Just don't expect a single K12 to replace a dual 4x12 stack. I think that is where some of the folks dissing the K12's are coming from.

I play guitar, acoustic, baritone, and bass through the K12's...they all sound great. But, for what it's worth, I don't play metal so I don't know if K12's will play that.

I'm kinda stuck in a rut right now. Yesterday I went to Guitar Center and got a pair of KRK Rokit 5s. They sound good but definitely not as mind blowing as buying some huge setup, etc. I currently play thru a Mosvalve MV-962 solid state power amp, into two Marshall 4x12s. The KRKs don't really get anywhere close to that setup but in the defense of the KRKs, the only have two speakers versus eight.

I think I'd like the K12 but am nervous about putting the money down and not liking it. I don't even know why I wouldn't because I've heard clips and seems to sound great. I just wonder if I'd be better off getting a Matrix power amp and using my current setup. I'd like something like the K12 for convienience, lack of space they take up, being able to use FRFR, etc. I just wonder how the KRK setup compares to one K12.

Paul, do you feel they are better than power amp/guitar cab due to them being easier to carry around, etc. or sound?

Playing my 2 K10's exclusively now. Was using my 2 Atomic powered wedges@ home. But since joining a band and practicing in their studio the K 10's travel eaiser then the atomics. I found since I am playing them more I'm able to dial in GREAT tone w/my 10's, stereo is cool and yes plenty loud. I really think its cause I'm more comfortable/experinced w/my AxeII, & mixing as well. I love my atomics, very organic and full, great as a floor monitor.

I'm kinda stuck in a rut right now. Yesterday I went to Guitar Center and got a pair of KRK Rokit 5s. They sound good but definitely not as mind blowing as buying some huge setup, etc. I currently play thru a Mosvalve MV-962 solid state power amp, into two Marshall 4x12s. The KRKs don't really get anywhere close to that setup but in the defense of the KRKs, the only have two speakers versus eight.

I think I'd like the K12 but am nervous about putting the money down and not liking it. I don't even know why I wouldn't because I've heard clips and seems to sound great. I just wonder if I'd be better off getting a Matrix power amp and using my current setup. I'd like something like the K12 for convienience, lack of space they take up, being able to use FRFR, etc. I just wonder how the KRK setup compares to one K12.

Hey at guitar center you have 30 days to return them if you don't like them.

Back
Top Bottom