QSC K12s for less than $799 each?

Hi folks,

I'm joining the Axe Fx bandwagon, and I've decided to go the PA speakers route, as opposed to power amp/cab. From most things I've read and heard, the QSC K12s are a great option. A couple questions:

1) They're kind of pricey - is there a place to get them for less than $799 each new? Or a certified used pair?

2) Anyone with strong opposition to QSC K12s? With personal bad experiences?

Cheers!

Thanks, gendefect! There is someone local who is selling a used pair for $600 each. It's less than a year old, and functionally seems fine. Cosmetically it has a few scuffs, but not in horrible condition or anything. Still gotta check on the warranty paperwork. Do you think, all other things being OK, it's worth grabbing for $600 per speaker, as opposed to shelling out more for a brand new piece? Do you see any specific benefit to buying them brand new?

Yes, I would say getting something used is always the way to go assuming they're in good shape. I have the 12 and like it a lot.

Pro Audio Star usually sells them for less on ebay, but they are usually B-stock or refurbished. I have 2 K12's that I use with an Ultra. Like them a lot. Tried one K10 first and didn't feel it had enough bottom end to it, but that's just my opinion. I wanted to be able to use backing track, for noodling and practice and just didn't feel like the K10 I tried was up to the task for me. Tried one K12 then got another to go with it within a week or two. no disappointment on my end at this time. Best rig I have ever put together. I paid $689 for one and $699 for one. Hope you find what you are looking for.
The statements above are merely my opinions and not meant to offend or insult anyone. Just giving the information.

Ed

I don't think you will disappointed. I just know I love my rig and it's been a long haul getting here. Good luck and keep us informed on your thoughts please.

Ed

The diff between the K10 and K12 is:

Unit, Coverage, Max Sound Pressure
K10, 90° conical, 129 dB peak
K12, 75° conical, 131 dB peak

So, if you need a louder, more focused and extended, but smaller throw, go w/the K12. I have both, and use the PA for the coverage/throw...I use the K10 when working w/low volume groups...the K12 when working with louder groups. When using the K10, I setup as a monitor in front of me. Usually when running the K12, I am not miked and use it in back of me (like a guitar cab). 2 K12's in back when I want to Kill It!

Last edited:
Man, this forum is just as everyone said it would be - extremely helpful and a good "community" feel! My Axe Fx Ultra just arrived in the mail today. Can't wait to get the beast unloaded! K12s should be in my possession soon....

I used my K12 for the first time live Fri night. I put it about 8 ft behind me on the floor as a monitor. I had it turned up a little less than 1/2 way & the output of the axe less than 1/2 & it felt like a wall of 4x12s behind me. I've never received more compliments on my sound than I did the other night & even the band members we floored by how great it sounded. I don't see myself ever lugging 90 lb cabs to a gig again.

I've attached a patch that I used for most of the Van Halen stuff we do that lots of people seemed to like. Most of my high gain patches are set up in a similar layout & it seems to work really well with the K12. Hope it works well for some of you guys. Enjoy.

Attachments

• HFT 2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 15
I'm afraid to go FrFr, how does the QSC K12 sound compared to a 4x12, does it have enough low end!?
Is this loud enough to replace a 4x12 (behind me) at rehearsal?
And for big heavy sounds (lots of palm muting) would it do the job?

The K12 has quite a bit of bottom end, Webstersp. I found it to be more than adequate compared to my Soldano 4x12 with Peavey Classic 50/50 and Rocktron Velocity 300. I went FRFR and am much more satisfied with the flexibility and quality of my sound. Just my opinion, obviously, but it wouldn't hurt you to try FRFR out. Just give it it's fair shake, and do your homework to learn how to dial in your patches to a FRFR system. Also, some of the professional IRs out there can add tons of quality options to your FRFR sound

I aready bought recabinet and red wirez for my home studio work.
Haven't ordered my Axe yet but I want to order everything on the same day!

Back
Top Bottom