QSC K12 and the Axe FXII... continued...

spikey

Experienced
Hi all,
I just purchased a QSC K12 for my Axe FX II. I have been running thru my Mixer into a pair of Mackie 824's. I was quite impressed with how loud the K12's are for their small size. The 1st thought was to set the attenuation to 0 db on the back of the K12. After all 0 db is unity gain setting magic stuff thats great for guitar players, right? I also went into the global eq and took down the 3 left freqs 31hz -2.83, 63hz -2.12, and 125hz down a -1.0 ... I have not messed with PEQ settings yet because I don't know enough, yet... Anyway- I was getting good sounds but something was a bit..., over driven? Not really distorted... I can't think of a better term atm.... But something wasn't just right as I expected to have a learning curve with my 1st FR FR... This morning i watched a video where the guy set his attenuation on the K12 only 3 clicks off of "off" position. I decided to try this concept and set mine from 0db (12 o'clock), to 9 o'clock position on the back of the K12, and then use output level 1 knob (on the FX II) as the master knob. WORLD of difference to my ears!. I guess that maybe I was over driving the input of the K12?? Just don't know at this point but at bedroom +- 3db levels it sure sounds much better. Any thoughts on this are more than appreciated... :D

Last edited:
I stand mine upright on floor, turn up half way, and put it in has sub mode, flat setting. I adjust the volume from my input knob on the axe. In the cab block I set the hi cut to like 6k -8k depending on the amp, it's not really obvious at low volumes but helps take the edge off at higher levels. Totally happy with my sound at the moment.

I've used K12's for four years (since the Ultra days). Still using them. I think they sound just fine.

I keep mine around ten o'clock and leave 'em there. The Axe II has plenty of push you can supply from the front output knob.

Like any FRFR, they can get boomy on the bottom and crispy on the top if you don't dial in your patches well. I also place a doubled 4" square of gaffers tape on the grill over the tweeter to lessen the 'beamyness' or ''glare' as Cliff put it, of the treble.

I got two CLR passive wedges thinking they were going to kick the K12's out the door. Didn't happen. The K12's stood up to them just fine. Now I use both and it sounds wonderful!

You do have to dial in your sound though. Either end of the audio spectrum can get away from you if you're careless.

Thank ye for the info scorch... Settings tidbits from the FXII/K12 users is always welcome. Yea Theres a lot already out there too... Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom