QSC K10 vs. RCF ... Should I upgrade?

TheScientist

Inspired
Just a casual player at home... Dedicated to my AXE2! Play it daily...Hearing great things about RCF. Life Changer? Subtle difference? As big a difference going from QSC as it was upgrading from Ultra?

Jet City and Atomic have new FRFRs coming out, I'm waiting. I got in on the RCF craze when it began and received a defective one when they had a rash of those.

my k12 suits me fine. have some really great tones dialed in now. trick is finding an IR or combo that works for you. plus you cant beat the warranty ;) people keep looking for a magic bullet when if you spend a little time learning your speaker you can get the tones you want out of it. same with studio monitors.

could always buy and flip.

A key part of the question is whether you have any urgency. Are you unhappy with the k10, or do you just want to have the best thing out there? Is there any deadline to return the k10, or is it yours at this point?

If you have no urgency, I'd wait for the matrix wedge and atomic clr to come out and get a shootout against the RCF.

But to anyone who needs or wants something right now, get the RCF. That was my situation, and I am thrilled I did. It's the best thing available right now in that price range, and should hold up well against the others whenever they come.

I can't compare it to the k10, but I did not like the k12 at all when I tried it. I found it harsh and brittle sounding. The RCF is orders of magnitude better, in my opinion.

I had the K10 and frankly disliked it, harsh and brittle like I found the Verve before it. Agree with bkrodgers.

I feel bad about the stupid little smirk I get when I hear all the QSC stuff falling out of favor these days, but its one of those situations where I really tried to want to like them because of all of the rave reviews and I never heard what all the rage was about. I chalked it up to me just being me or having different taste. I didn't think that it was horrible, but I sure didn't see what all the rage was about and thought they sounded a bit harsh as well.

Just goes to show you how internet hype can be a bit on the dangerous side. I mean we're talking about a few bucks here that I could have blown if I hadn't had an opportunity to demo them and went based on early comments.

With that said I do think that you can dial in or out most of what you want with most good systems and the QSC stuff is definitely good quality stuff. I mean what I'm using is laughable on just about every front compared to the QSC stuff, but I know how to work with it rather than against it.

I'd say that just because someone doesn't like what you've got or likes something else better doesn't mean jack if you are having success. The RCF stuff is supposed to be great, but in a month who knows what the next big thing will be. I have no doubt that I'd like it, but it doesn't mean that I have to rush out and get it because I'm pretty happy where I'm at right now.

Are you dissatisfied with the K10s? I use a pair of K8s and my only real beef with them is that, unlike your K10, the K8 doesn't angle up for use as a wedge. I'm come up with a couple of workarounds and am pretty happy. My advice in such situations is to figure out why you want to replace your current gear. I've gotten tired of chasing "better" and tend to make such acquisitions with a more specific purpose than simply upgrading.

That's not to say that I'm against upgrading when I'm dissatisfied with an item. I recently upgraded my headphones and plan to upgrade my monitors later this year.

Back
Top Bottom