QSC K10 vs K12

Tybalt

I have the opportunity to get either at a low price, however the price I can get the K10 at is obviously more attractive and I'm loving how compact/light it is in comparison.
Anyone have any experience comparing both of them for the Axe-fx in an FRFR context? I wondering if I'll have sufficient bass response from the 10 and if it'll have enough "oomph" to compete with a loud drummer. Also, is one sufficient for the K10?

I just bought a K12 today I didn't get to use both with my Axe but listening to music on the K10 and then K12 I thought the K12 sounded noticeably enough better/bigger to justify the extra $100. Not a huge difference but I could hear it and personally it would drive me crazy knowing I could have gotten something better so I just got the K12. Now as far as the K12 with the Axe its great so far I turned it to about 9 o clock and it filled up the room and I felt the bass in my chest. I was worried it might sound a little harsh but its actually quite the opposite almost a little to smooth with the hi gain patches. It still sounds very good though probably just need to get used to the monitor sound as opposed to a guitar cab. With the tweakability of the Axe though I should be able to eq just right with some more time. Another big plus for me is I can also use it for vocals, acoustic guitar and even as a monitor from my Mac. Granted you could do that with the K10, either way I'm sure you'll love it. Another thing worth mention is that QSC has a deal going on right now where you get the upgraded 6 year warranty for free if you buy anything from the K series through an authorized dealer.

Strat-O-Matic said:
I just bought a K12 today I didn't get to use both with my Axe but listening to music on the K10 and then K12 I thought the K12 sounded noticeably enough better/bigger to justify the extra $100. Not a huge difference but I could hear it and personally it would drive me crazy knowing I could have gotten something better so I just got the K12. Now as far as the K12 with the Axe its great so far I turned it to about 9 o clock and it filled up the room and I felt the bass in my chest. I was worried it might sound a little harsh but its actually quite the opposite almost a little to smooth with the hi gain patches. It still sounds very good though probably just need to get used to the monitor sound as opposed to a guitar cab. With the tweakability of the Axe though I should be able to eq just right with some more time. Another big plus for me is I can also use it for vocals, acoustic guitar and even as a monitor from my Mac. Granted you could do that with the K10, either way I'm sure you'll love it. Another thing worth mention is that QSC has a deal going on right now where you get the upgraded 6 year warranty for free if you buy anything from the K series through an authorized dealer.

Thanks for the response. It's good to hear that at least the K12 has great bass response in practice.
I looked up some of the specs on the QSC website:
K8 K10 K12 respectively
Frequency Response (66 Hz - 18 kHz) (60 Hz - 18 kHz) (52 Hz - 18 kHz)
Frequency Range (61 Hz - 20 kHz) (56 Hz - 20 kHz) (48 Hz - 20 kHz)

Since guitar speakers are normally rated at a threshold of about 80Hz at the low end, it would seem (at least on paper) that each of the K models exceeds the required Frequency Response range necessary for normal guitar frequencies... so I assume that means that for guitar applications there should be no noticeable difference in perception of the bass response, but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit:
I guess I coulda searched this topic a bit more in detail, several different threads on this with the general consensus is that the bass response between either is fine while the difference tonally may bit slight more harshness in the midrange in the K10 that may or may not be controllable.

Well, I'm testing out the K10, haven't been really able to gun it, but so far it's pretty decent.
However, I have to admit, it does sounds a bit, er, flat. And slightly boxy, but that might be more due to the 10 inch rather than 12 inch speaker.
I'll have to see how well the K10 competes with a drummer and how well it can handle lower frequency, high gain, djenty-type, palm muted, percussive hits.
Might end up having to get the K12... we'll see.

Tybalt said:
Well, I'm testing out the K10, haven't been really able to gun it, but so far it's pretty decent.
However, I have to admit, it does sounds a bit, er, flat. And slightly boxy, but that might be more due to the 10 inch rather than 12 inch speaker.
I'll have to see how well the K10 competes with a drummer and how well it can handle lower frequency, high gain, djenty-type, palm muted, percussive hits.
Might end up having to get the K12... we'll see.

I can tell you that the K12 can definitely handles low frequency I'm usually eqing lows out on most patches. One thing I'd like add when you make patches you have understand that your not going to get just a guitar amp sound, you get a guitar amp mic'd through a power amp and out of a monitor. Yesterday and today I drove myself crazy trying to get it to sound like a guitar amp in the room but when I started playing music through it and getting a tone in the mix I realized how to use this set up. I've still got aways to go before I get my sound but its a lot better when you realize that atleast for me it was.

Strat-o-matic, I have to get myself in front of my Axe and get my settings for you.
Although I use Redwirez (and they made a big difference for me) I was able to get a K12 sounding better than my 1x12 Mesa cab. I was able to dial in a guitar cab tone....took me a while, but I found it.

BBN said:
Strat-o-matic, I have to get myself in front of my Axe and get my settings for you.
Although I use Redwirez (and they made a big difference for me) I was able to get a K12 sounding better than my 1x12 Mesa cab. I was able to dial in a guitar cab tone....took me a while, but I found it.
Ok thanks man I very interested to try it out, maybe I'll get Redwirez which one did you use and what others would you recommend?

BBN said:
Ok thanks man I very interested to try it out, maybe I'll get Redwirez which one did you use and what others would you recommend?

sorry to bump this old thread but I wanted to get your take on the k10 for using at my house and not with a band. I have a CLR at the practice room and that works fine for their but I need something for home instead of
the studio monitors. I was thinking about one k10 and the size seems perfect as a practice rig. I also want to be able to tweak my presents a bit and create new ones at home. I know I will need to alter them a bit on the CLR
but as long as I get a basic idea tweaking is not a major deal. Would it be fine for the k10 or do you really think it is worth it (for home studio) to get the k12?

thanks!!!

For home the K10 is more than adequate. Better yet, just get another CLR.
way too much money for home and if I get another one it will go to the studio, so that doesn't really help me.
I plan to move to two passive wedges at some point but I cannot move the CLR's back and forth from rehearsal. I carry too much gear back and forth as it is and my bassist rides with me and his gear takes up some of that room.

thanks for the reply

K10 is better for lower volume. I played with both the k10 and k12 all the time and noticed that you get more bite at lower volume on the k10.

I rarely turn it up at home. I don't like playing through my studio monitors and feel I may have damaged them already (not sure yet). The 10in size seems great because I can tuck it away and not take up more room than I already am. I guess
my thought is I am using 12in CLR at practice and tweaking at home I wonder if I will have issues when bringing those patches to the CLR (k10 being a 10in and CLR being a 12)

thanks

The differences between the CLR and K10 are much larger than the difference in speaker size. I own both and they are two totally different sounding pieces of equipment. I personally could not play through the K10 since playing through the CLR (unless I absolutely had no choice).

I've had (and used) both the QSC K10 and the QSC K12. Both the K10 and the K12 have "enhanced" low-end responses, even at their "flat" settings. Both can sound boomy at higher volumes when compared to reference speaker systems.

If you're looking for more accurate reproduction of signal content, roll off the LF response by -3dB, beginning at 700Hz. You'll wind up with a "flatter" response curve, but by no means "flat."

I guess I could buy 3 CLR wedges. Keep two at the studio and keep one at home for playing, testing patches, etc. Only issue is plugging in my POd. I have my Pod at home for practicing most days but some times I love experimenting with my patches. Since
I own a CRL I think I will need to bring my rack to GC and give it a listen. If it sounds good enough for home then I will get one. thanks for the feedback

I had a pair of K-12's and I loved them. I sold them to get a clr but I personally feel my best live sounds were when I had the K-12's. Maybe it was because of the stereo spread but they sounded great.

I just dropped my K10 in favour of a CLR. The Double Verb no longer takes my head off when cranked up and the bass response is much more natural. I'm not sure I could ever be happy going between the two, even for home practice.

so far so good with the k12. I purchased one and it is just what I needed for playing at home. Total waste of money to buy a CLR to keep at home (IMO). It does sound a bit different than the CLR where the CLR is more focus sound. One thing
having the speaker at home helps me set my levels better so I am not clipping. That is one thing I've been struggling with and now I need to make sure the levels are where I want them (clean-dirty-lead).

I have a K12, but the keyboard player in the band has a K10, so i did get an opportunity to try them side-by-side.
The K12 definitely has a bigger sound, but mostly in the bottom-end.
Nevertheless, we are talking about an outrageous amount of bottom-end in both of them, and sometimes it is a bit too boomy if you put the speaker on the floor. (Totally different on a speaker stand, though -it gets more balanced), so I usually dial it down by switching-on "External Sub" if there is too much bass in a given room / situation.
Remember that guitar is a mid-range instrument, and although copious bass is good for one's ego ;), it can really get in the way of the bass player and muddy-up the whole mix.

I have heard that CLRs are just the dog's bollocks, but unfortunately for me, by the time I had bought an Axefx, MFC-101, expression pedals and various cases and accessories, I didn't have the budget for the CLR.
I have also heard a number of people say that the 12" RCF active speakers sound nicer than the QSCs, too.

At the end of the day, i think its important to just adapt and make the best use of whatever you've got, and focus on the music. All of the above speakers are pretty decent, and good music can certainly be created with any of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom