QSC K10 vs Atomic CLR

Arjan

Inspired
Hi all,

I currently use a QSC K10 as a monitor for my AxeFx II. I'm mostly happy with it, but I have two (minor) issues with it:

- I find the fan quite loud. This is no problem during gigs, but at home it is a bit annoying.
- I'm not fully happy yet with the sound of the K10 at high volume, I feel I'm losing low end in that configuration.

Did anyone compare the K10 to the CLR? How do they compare in terms of sound quality? And in terms of volume/power at gig levels?

Thanks!

I have not played a CLR but I will tell you this it will absolutely be a big difference. I say that because I went from a k12 to an RCF (everyone says the CLR as as good as the RCF some say might even be better) and the difference was big.

I have not played a CLR but I will tell you this it will absolutely be a big difference. I say that because I went from a k12 to an RCF (everyone says the CLR as as good as the RCF some say might even be better) and the difference was big.

Big? But how? My QSC K12 sounds unreal! Or does it?

I ended up ultimately hating my pairs of K10's and K12's. I play in mostly dropped tuning though. B or lower. From what I read they aren't great for that. Went back to a 4x12. Looking at the CLR or Q12 though!

I was also using QSC K10's. The difference between K10's and the RCF's (NX12-SMA) I'm now using was huge. The RCF's are much cleaner, clearer, smoother, less fatiguing to the ears, and also work wonderfully for my keyboards. (I still think that K10's are pretty good for use as a PA speaker for vocals.) It's also very easy to get great controlled feedback with the RCF's. However, the RCF's have very narrow dispersion (my fellow bandmates say they can't hear me) so I'm now considering getting a pair of CLR's.

i know this is about the CLR, but i too just changed from 2 k10 to a single rcf (for now, i want 2!). haven't gigged loudly with it yet, but the difference is night and day with the clarity and frequency response that i can hear. the k10s are great speakers, no doubt. but this higher class (and price range) definitely has its benefits.

i always felt that something was "missing" with the traditional 2-way tweeter woofer. with 2 speakers, if i was too close to them (which as monitors in small clubs is inevitable) i felt i could hear the separation between highs and mid/lows. almost as if the stereo field was a crossover.

the rcf just feels more immediate, clear and punchy. as for the rcf field being too narrow, that is a benefit for me. generally the bands i play with do NOT want a bunch of guitar heading their way, so the narrow dispersion is great for me.

i can only imagine the CLR has the same (and possibly better) benefits.

As scott says apples to oranges.

My opinion on the question at hand;

I've tried the K10 and K12 on a number of occasions, and while they are ok I don't like any of them much.
If I had to choose between them, I clearly prefere the K10 over the K12.

I've used the RCF NX10-SMA extensively and feel that the RCF is a BIG step up from the K-series.

Having said that I've had 3 CLR's since early April for review purposes and have put them through their paces in a number of differing scenarios and applications, and in some of them have put them head to head with the K10, K12, HK Linear 5 and RCF NX10-SMA - and IMHO the CLR is in a completely different league altogether and al by itself. In depth review forthcomming.

The CLR is priced in the prosumer range, but really is reference quality monitoring capable of rock 'n roll SPL's, which is utterly unique and in fact mind blowing.

I used to use a K10 and still have it for a wedge vocal monitor. I have my CLR order scheduled to be delivered on Monday, so I will compare them and post my impressions after I compare them, but I quit using the K10 because it is okay for the price, but I don't think it does a good job with guitar. The bass is boomy, the midrange is murky and distant sounding, and the highs are a little harsh. It also sounds processed and not very immediate. It sounds like the front end of notes are processed and slightly delayed, and when they come out, they splat a little instead of sounding natural. Just my opinion.

As scott says apples to oranges.

My opinion on the question at hand;

I've tried the K10 and K12 on a number of occasions, and while they are ok I don't like any of them much.
If I had to choose between them, I clearly prefere the K10 over the K12.

I've used the RCF NX10-SMA extensively and feel that the RCF is a BIG step up from the K-series.

Having said that I've had 3 CLR's since early April for review purposes and have put them through their paces in a number of differing scenarios and applications, and in some of them have put them head to head with the K10, K12, HK Linear 5 and RCF NX10-SMA - and IMHO the CLR is in a completely different league altogether and al by itself. In depth review forthcomming.

The CLR is priced in the prosumer range, but really is reference quality monitoring capable of rock 'n roll SPL's, which is utterly unique and in fact mind blowing.

Looking forward to your reviews, is it going to contain all of the said boxes?

That's what I'm hoping for with the CLR's, Scott! I just hope they fix that problem with the tweeter mount getting broken during shipping.

I've only seen one account of that on any forum and it was handled quickly by Atomic. I've gigged mine *hard* over the last 6+ months... no issues or anything broken.

Scott, at one point I thought you were really digging the qsc. When did you switch over and what specifically made you jump?

I never owned any of the K series, but have worked *extensively* with them with many people. I prefer the K10 over the K12; the CLR is in an altogether different league of performance altogether than anything QSC is doing. I used to own the QSC HPR series, then FBT, then RCF. I try a lot of gear and have an open mind. The CLR to date is the best speaker I've used, hands down. The next closest thing I have worked with cost 250% more (Meyer Sound).

I currently have a K10 and a CLR. They are definitely different beasts. The CLR has a more High end to it, and can get extremely loud. The best thing to me about the CLR's is the dispersion. With the K10, You kind of have to be right in front of the thing, to hear it the best. With the CLR, you can just aim in a general direction and you will be able to hear it everywhere, with the same sonic quality. Just for the record I also have a MatrixGT1000FX and a 2x12 line6 Vetta cabinet, that sounds good too.

So, if you ask me what I am preferring on stage these days, with the three solutions that I currently have, I would have to say the CLR.

It really is an Awesome Speaker. That Jay Mitchell guy, really knows his stuff.

If you want any specifics PM me and I can go into more detail.

Now something I have done with great success, is run all of these at the same time, turning them all up really loud, and man!!!! what a sound...

Looking forward to your reviews, is it going to contain all of the said boxes?

It'll be a review of the CLR, but I'll contrast it to the other boxes mentioned.
I won't be a full on A-B-C-D-E comparison, as I didn't have the K-series and the HK Linear 5 in the same room, and the subject for review is the CLR's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom