Q9.01b Demo and Comparison with Q8.02

Axe-Master
Positive first impressions with Q9.01b; the updated delays sound sweet, the speaker compression algorithm does as promised and the B7K sounds ridiculous for heavy bass tones. The video below compares the same presets before and after updating.

The speaker compression is most noticeable with the Marshalls to me, especially once the MV gets cranked up. Overall there seems to be more of a satisfying "thrak" with high gain sounds that keeps them sounding clear when playing really aggressively.

The IIC+ preset is great ! Which IR are you using on it ?

Btw, Q8.02 sounds better in your video, clearly. More defined, more dynamic, more in your face

Btw, Q8.02 sounds better in your video, clearly. More defined, more dynamic, more in your face

I'm using the 57 C and 121 1 IR's from the @York Audio Bipolar Cab Pack.

I suspect the speaker comp algorithm is the big difference; I usually set motor drive to around 4.5 with the time set at 50ms which makes it nice and tight and punchy. I'll have to do some tweaking and look for that sweet spot with the new parameter.

For me the Q9.01 sounds more realistic and therefore better. I'm sure you can get it better sound wise like you explained with a little tweaking and learning the new parameters.

Killer job Leon!
To me the Plexi had the most noticeable difference, not as thin and harsh, closer to how one should sound.

Last edited:
9.01 for the win. I just did some testing with it .. it really does make me think I'm playing through an actual amp.

Just seen that there's the gain compression indicator on the AX8 display when you edit the amp on the unit itself - handy to see what the speaker compression is when altering the compression param.

For me the Q9.01 sounds more realistic and therefore better. I'm sure you can get it better sound wise like you explained with a little tweaking and learning the new parameters.
It definitely "feels" even more like an amp which is a big win for me.

Nice job. 9.01 sounds much better than 8.02. More "organic" (though I hate that term).
It's noticeably more articulate with high gain or high MV settings. Wonderful work!

Killer job Leon!
To me the Plexi had the most noticeable difference, not as thin and harsh closer, to how one should sound.
Definitely. One thing I've noticed with the few old Marshall's I've recorded with is the "amp about to explode" phenomenon, and the Plexi's in the Axe have a lot more of that going on in this firmware.

Just seen that there's the gain compression indicator on the AX8 display when you edit the amp on the unit itself - handy to see what the speaker compression is when altering the compression param.
Very handy for adjusting output levels too.

Methinks the incense is a metaphor - LOL

Shows how much more musical the compression is. It affects everything and feels great. One notable side effect is taming of dynamics on the highs at gig volume.

Well, I spent some time with the B7K: its very convenient and reasonably excellent: it can get the Steinberger to punch like an old P-Bass and a lot more. One thing that's pretty exciting is that it sounds great all on it's lonesome into a cabinet: Since the B7K is a drive block: on AX8: this means if you run the B7K in parallel with an amp block, and (panned left and right into a stereo cabinet ) you've got a two amp rig: Nice results blending with the USA Bass into the LA 15 cab, or just for easy amp switching options between the two with scenes. That's a heckuva lot of amp tone options crammed into one preset: if need be.

I'm just getting into the B7K with guitar: but there seems to be a whole new world of heavy and djenty extrusion possible with the Baritone or the Les Paul into the B7K on one side and a Triptik on the other. I haven't added a second drive pedal into the B7K, but I'll probably descend into that nastiness pretty soon. However, for those lamenting a lack of two amp options: it appears one big, heavy door has opened. YMMV*

*Personal disclaimer. Historically, I've shied away from dual guitar amps (and never for bass): If there's two amps, I want a second guitar player for that amp: ala: John & George, Duane & Dickie, Keith & Brian, Mick or Ronnie, Robert & Adrian, Corin & Carrie, Glen & KK, - and so on. But, old dog: new tricks, eh?

Last edited:
Nice work!. I gotta say sometimes I can't really hear a big difference in things like some of the more advanced, deeper parameters - but when I listened to this vid I could actually hear the difference between 8.02 and 9 - very exciting.and cool that you didn't do a bunch of tweaking on your presets for 9 - I feel like that gives a better baseline of what to expect.

Sounds great man and thanks for taking the time to make the vid! Thanks to FAS for what appears to be another great update!

Positive first impressions with Q9.01b

In the video you did the comparison prior to making any changes and mentioned that after documenting the basic change, you’d be making changes to your 9.01 presets. Assuming you were happy with the 8.02 tones in the video, what tweaks will you be or have you made to get 9.01 where you want it? Just curious and thanks for the video!

Overall there seems to be more of a satisfying "thrak" with high gain sounds that keeps them sounding clear when playing really aggressively.

This matches my impressions exactly when taking the AX8/v9 out for a spin at rehearsal last night; definitely more clarity and 'thrak' with gainier tones...

In the video you did the comparison prior to making any changes and mentioned that after documenting the basic change, you’d be making changes to your 9.01 presets. Assuming you were happy with the 8.02 tones in the video, what tweaks will you be or have you made to get 9.01 where you want it? Just curious and thanks for the video!

I've just tweaked the speaker comp a little bit in my main patches and I'm pretty happy. Funnily I raised it for certain sounds and lowered it for others; higher for real world amps that would be set super loud and slightly lower for tight high gain sounds. YMMV.

Positive first impressions with Q9.01b; the updated delays sound sweet, the speaker compression algorithm does as promised and the B7K sounds ridiculous for heavy bass tones. The video below compares the same presets before and after updating.

The speaker compression is most noticeable with the Marshalls to me, especially once the MV gets cranked up. Overall there seems to be more of a satisfying "thrak" with high gain sounds that keeps them sounding clear when playing really aggressively.

HI!
How did you set Memory Guy Delay. Did you use Deluxe Mind Guy? Could you share just this patch (USA Rhythm + Memory Guy Delay)? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom