[NOT A BUG] Q7: brittle sound until first preset change

offrhodes

Hi,

when I power up the Axe Fx II XL+ with 7.00 beta 2 or 7.00 final, the sound is initially brittle and thin.
The problem disappears once I change presets (e.g. one up, one down).
The difference is substantial, it doesn't require any careful listening. The attached file contains a chord with the "001 65 bassguy" preset, both before and after the preset change after reboot. It's not specific to this preset, others behave similarly.
There is no MIDI or USB cable connected (no external CC issues)

Most likely I'm doing something wrong - it seems unlikely that such an obvious issue would have slipped past several weeks of testing. But the unit isn't supposed to do this, so I boldly file it as bug. That said, any hints as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated :)
If this can't be reproduced, what should I do, e.g. reset the unit somehow?

Attachments

• bug.zip
    382.1 KB · Views: 4
Bingo. It's the Wah.
I do have pedal 1 configured for analog input, but nothing is plugged in right now. Strange, I've never noticed before that it defaults to "on".
Will check my global settings and the manual tomorrow.

I run presets with a mission sp-1 that controls wah and volume blocks and changes them via the onboard switch. I have it setup per the video that Chris Luke made and even when the wah is OFF, there is still some bleedthrough until it is acutally taken out of the chain via shunt.

Think i figured it out. Had External 2 backwards. Ill keep an eye on it

OK ... changing pedal 1 from "continuous" to "momentary" in IO/pedal fixes the issue.

Still, the behavior seems unintended, call it a missing feature:
- The presets uses "MED SPD" auto engage, so it should activate only on movement
- The default behavior is to carry the Wah state from one preset to the next (explicitly disable with "PC RST")
- Power cycling does NOT preserve the previous state, but forces an explicit controller change to initialize the pedal position
- The logical solution would be IMHO to carry over the Wah state over power cycling the same way it is handled over preset change.

It's not a big deal (or none at all - one could argue "if you don't connect a continuous pedal, don't enable it it globals).
Anyway, I just figured out what's going on so I thought I might as well write it down.

- Power cycling does NOT preserve the previous state, but forces an explicit controller change to initialize the pedal position
- The logical solution would be IMHO to carry over the Wah state over power cycling the same way it is handled over preset change.
Nah. I don't think it's logical to expect an un-powered Axe-Fx to remember where any controls were set when you last flicked off the power switch. That's a hard power-down that allows zero time to save the running configuration.

Back
Top Bottom