Q7 and the new toys (motor drive, compressors, etc) - expectations for live gigging

dsimms

Inspired
I've got my first gig with 7.01 coming up Friday, and am considering using 7.02b since I've got time to work through my presets this week. There's been lots of happy talk about the recent additions (new FW, shimmer drive, motor drive, opto compressors) and I wonder how many were home/bedroom players vs live. I understand how the motor drive and opto compressors could help home players overcome Fletcher Munson effects at lower-than-gig volumes, but I'm also wondering how well the new stuff will work when I'm in a loud full band situation. For instance, patches that sound incredible at home jamming with the radio or YouTubes often don't cut through on the gig. I'm wondering if the motor drive might work against my gig settings. I think I'm going to like the shimmer drive and opto compressors since we do some Floyd. These questions might be too early since it just came out - anyone have a chance to try things out in a band environment yet?

No, I haven't used at gig volume, but I cannot see how the motor drive ,shimmmer, etc. would not help, hopefully you can have a proper at-volume session with the band before the gig. I say give it a go, cuz it all sounds bitchen

It worked for me on Saturday at my gig. I actually switched some drives to the shimmer and some comps I had in place after the amp block to the opto (line level) and that worked well.

The Shimmer sounded great through my ears at home, at the show, big PA and all, it actually was too bright for my taste. A little tweaking at home this week and we should be good for the next show.

It worked for me on Saturday at my gig. I actually switched some drives to the shimmer and some comps I had in place after the amp block to the opto (line level) and that worked well.
What band are you gigging Chicagoland with ? I will be back for the season soon and my resolution is to see more local acts live.

I'm also curious if anyone has to reduce the motor drive effect when playing at gigging volumes.

What band are you gigging Chicagoland with ? I will be back for the season soon and my resolution is to see more local acts live.

Hi Brad - well I'm in a couple cover bands. One is called Then Again and the other is Gina Glocksen Band. So if you want to see cover bands haha. I think summer is mostly filled with weddings and suburban fests for the most part.

Hi Brad - well I'm in a couple cover bands. One is called Then Again and the other is Gina Glocksen Band. So if you want to see cover bands haha. I think summer is mostly filled with weddings and suburban fests for the most part.
Cool. You may have played at a venue I'm a partner in up in Waukegan..we started producing fests last summer..Harbor's Edge, right on the waterfront of Lake Michigan

I changed the title to Q7 (from Q7.02b) to get some more feedback. Anyone else had a chance to try out the new features (motor drive, opto compressors, shimmer drive) in a live/loud band setting?

I gig with the AXE all the time. Just remember if you set your presets at bedroom or home volume, when you turn up you may experience too much bass. A good method to adjust tone on your presets for live is to use an EQ block to compensate for moe bass at the louder volume. Then when you get back home or to the studio, you can turn the EQ block off and you will be back to what you are use to.

I can't stress enough how much a simple investment in an spl meter will help the gigging musician.

When you're at band practice volume, have someone take a reading in front of your cab for both rhythm and leads.

If you can then replicate that same db spl at home briefly when making patches accounting for the fact that other instruments need to fit into your low end, mid range, and treble settings, then you will have no rude awakenings at a gig. Otherwise FOH might have to low pass and high pass your tone into something radically different to make a live mix work.

My advice would be to get the basic tones working at gig volume before icing the cake so to speak adjusting motor drive and some of the other great tone fine tuning toys we have.

Last edited:
I can't stress enough how mich a simple investment in an spl meter will help the gigging musician.

When you're at band practice volume, have someone take a reading in front of your cab for both rhythm and leads.

If you can then replicate that same db spl at home briefly when making patches accounting for the fact that other instruments need to fit into your low end, mid range, and treble settings, then you will have no rude awakenings at a gig. Otherwise FOH might have to low pass and high pass your tone into something radically different to make a live mix work.

My advice would be to get the basic tones working at gig volume before icing the cake so to speak adjusting motor drive and some of the other great tone fine tuning toys we have.

I would go further and suggest you really pay attention to and study how your rig sounds at gig level. Slowly play the strings from low to high and listen for the balance. Make some tone stack / EQ changes at gig level and get used to making adjustments.

The SPL meter can help you, but at show time, having some skill at dialing in your tone by ear is a good skill. If it seems "off" at the show, you will be able to quickly get it where you want it.

I'm also curious if anyone has to reduce the motor drive effect when playing at gigging volumes.

I've played very loud now twice with Q7.02 (Motor Drive mostly about 6-7) and can say no I did not have to reduce - some I've even turnt more up when playing loud, as it sounded even better.

I had a few band practice evenings at high volume level through a part of our PA - we are two guitarists playing through one Axe Fx II.
Both rigs in the Axe were using Motordrive at 4.5 with OH and Valhall IR´s .
Sounded great and huge - better than without Motordrive!

What do you guys adjust besides motor drive, do you turn up air freq as well? That's usually set at 0. I like turning that up and motor drive, what other adjustments do you guys tinker with as well? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom