Bug? Q7 2290 Delay Phase

simonp54

Experienced
In Q7 i'm finding that setting the Feedback in the 2290 Stereo delay operates differently to previous firmware despite no indication of this in the release notes.

Previously, setting a negative Feedback in the delay caused it to be out of phase. Now in Q7 when I have 40% and -40% in the feedback parameters I get a wierd ping pong with what seems to be two delay repeats on the left followed by two in the right signal. Note I have the "phase reverse" parameter set to none, consistent with my previous firmware settings. (aka nothing has changed as input parameters to the algorithm)

That's a bit difficult as to show the "bug" would need both FWs to show example of the difference... I might try to capture a wave form to work out what the phase is now doing.
post the preset anyway. don't put limitations on how a problem should be solved - it may never get solved.

What do you think negative feedback should do?
previously on earlier Firmwares, it widened the delay sound. now it seems to "ping pong" around. I've done some more tests and it does invert on some repeats not all. I *believe* previous firmwares reversed the phase on all repeats. ( but i would now need to load previous firmware to really check that)

so to confirm, if i set the Feedback parameters to +x% and -x% they should always be out of phase.... that is what i believe it has done previously...?

I have to say I don't think Simon is going crazy here. I heard the original in his studio and on my system. Tonight I hear the ping pong thing too and not the same widening effect as before. Two independently created presets.

OK, i did a quick roll back to the Q7 beta 1 which I was using previously, loaded my preset backup and tested. It is doing the same as the latest "official" Q7 release. So as you say Cliff, nothing has changed... however it does sound very different. Weird.

and setting the feedback +x% and -x% gives IN IN OUT IN OUT IN OUT etc... (with "phase reverse"= "none")

I would expect an "IN IN OUT IN OUT IN..." sound. Remember the feedback value is the FEEDBACK. The first echo will be in phase since it hasn't gone through the feedback amplifier yet. The next echo will then be either in phase or out of phase depending upon the sign of the feedback value. To get the widening effect you set both feedback values the same and use the Phase Reverse parameter. See the diagram in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom