Q5.03 Recto riff hugeness playthrough video! (OH 212 ORNG)

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys,

Just finished making this new video for y'all.
Of course I'm using the brand new firmware with the Recto 1 modern red model for the rhythms, the old HBE for leads and the AD30 for the cleans.
Loving the new firmware.

I'm using one of my favorite OwnHammer cabs.
It's the 212 ORNG which is based on an Orange 2x12 cab.
I'm surprised I don't hear people rave about this cab more often.
As you'll hear in this video this cab has the hugest sound.
Works great with the new Recto models.
Big lows, mids and very nice highs!

Anyway, enough chatter.
Hope you enjoy this track!

ps: If you dig my videos please subcribe for more guitar related content!

Very Deftones-like sound, which is really nice of course!

Man, great band!
I'm a huge fan of the Deftones guitarsound.
Was just listening to the song passenger and it kinda reminded me of this cab.
The low end in that record is a lot tighter than a Recto but the mids and highs are definitely similar.

Huuuuge Sound man!!! Love it.

What post processing did you do on the guitars?

Congrats
Ricardo

Thanks!
Not a whole lot.
I added the Slate VPC, VCC and VTM plugins for subtle coloring.
I'm doing some very minor eq to make the guitars blend in the mix better.
A little bit of low cut, dipping out a slight bit of low mids to make room for the bass and maybe adding a very small amount of high shelf with the Custom series Lift from Slate.
Great plugin btw.
Anyway, as it turned out these guitars didn't need a lot of processing to fit this mix.

Awesome sound and tone dude! Big fan of Deftones myself and you've really nailed your own tone in that type of atmosphere.

Jon,

What mic choice did you choose for the IR? Also, did you program each patch or use a stock preset?

Thanks!
Brandon

Jon,

What mic choice did you choose for the IR? Also, did you program each patch or use a stock preset?

Thanks!
Brandon

I programmed that patch from scratch.
Although the factory presets are great, I usually prefer making my own presets.
Sometimes if I'm looking for a cool special effect I'll look through the Factory presets to see if I can find crazy things.

For the IR's I usually tend to go for the OH1, OH2 and PROG mixes in the quickstart folders.

Thanks!
No drive block.
For high gain I tend to avoid using drive blocks whenever possible.
So are you boosting input drive? That doesn't sound like it's just the gain turned up to 6.5. I tried dialing in a recto 1 red modern using some settings you posted and I can't get it to sound anything like this. The low end just sounds blah in the preset I created. Please divulge your secrets!!!

So are you boosting input drive? That doesn't sound like it's just the gain turned up to 6.5. I tried dialing in a recto 1 red modern using some settings you posted and I can't get it to sound anything like this. The low end just sounds blah in the preset I created. Please divulge your secrets!!!

No secrets...
Using EMG's makes all the difference.
Gain is set to about 7 and master volume to about 2.3.
Bass is turned down a bit, maybe to 2.6 or so.

No secrets...
Using EMG's makes all the difference.
Gain is set to about 7 and master volume to about 2.3.
Bass is turned down a bit, maybe to 2.6 or so.
You know, I tried emg's years ago and they didn't really do much for me, but I may have to give them a second shot and see how time may have changed my opinion.

You know, I tried emg's years ago and they didn't really do much for me, but I may have to give them a second shot and see how time may have changed my opinion.

I personally love them and I don't get the hate they get.
Very well balanced pickups.
The 81's are great for rhythm and lead tones and 60's deliver very warm neck pickup leads and cleans.

Back
Top Bottom