Fixed Q5.02 -> Q5.03 Sag Quartered

simonp54

Experienced
I have experienced and I know of at least one other user that have had the SAG values "quartered" during the upgrade from Q5.02 -> Q5.03.

E.g sag before set at 3.00 after upgrade sag = 0.75

I have AxeFX II XL+

I have rolled back to Q5.02 and reapplied my backups. I have been told that Q5.03.01 did not fix this issue.

it is supposed to do that. cliff changed the available sag amount trying to match a kemper profile so he set it up to go to the new value that is the same amount of sag as the existing value of the patch. all this is in the 5.03 post

The value is supposed to be halved (50%) according to FAS. OP is saying it was quartered (25%) on his presets.

it is supposed to do that. cliff changed the available sag amount trying to match a kemper profile so he set it up to go to the new value that is the same amount of sag as the existing value of the patch. all this is in the 5.03 post
If you double the scale and keep the same "amount" it must be EITHER 1/2 the original OR as Toopy says non linear... in which case why didn't Cliff say that during his private discussion with another user... I believe it to be a Bug. Have you guys experienced the 1/4ing of values? We need more people who have seen this to report it... because Cliff said he couldn't reproduce it.

I have experienced and I know of at least one other user that have had the SAG values "quartered" during the upgrade from Q5.02 -> Q5.03.

I have AxeFX II XL+

I have rolled back to Q5.02 and reapplied my backups. I have been told that Q5.03.01 did not fix this issue.

I thought 5.03.01 did fix this?

I have AxeFX II XL+

I don't know who told you that but 5.03.01 was specifically released to address this issue.

I don't know who told you that but 5.03.01 was specifically released to address this issue.
My first post on this issue asked that question. But no response till now.

Incidently when checking Yek's question about global blocks I looked on the Global Blocks Drop Down in Axe-Edit and it has AMP2 populated for every instance (same for AMP1) although I don't use global blocks for AMP blocks anymore, where as for other Blocks they say (empty).

and i never setup more than about 1 or 2 global AMP blocks, ever.

OK so I just installed Q5.03.01 and can confirm the issue no longer appears to be there. I may have been miss informed. Sorry for any confusion.

I upgraded from Q5.02 -> Q5.03.01 without issue relating to scaling of Power Supply Sag.

I must admit, for such a bug fix I would have gone to an additional number increment on the minor revision number. Dunno why this sub number was used... makes it confusing to know whether you have a unit in front of you with the "goosed" 5.03 or the "fixed" 5.03...

Okay, that makes sense now why I was getting the correct sag value. I downloaded the file 5p03p01 on November 02. I wondered what the p01 was, hadn't seen numbering like that before.

When was 5.03.01 released?
It was a quick fix!
Cliff uploaded 5.03 on 1st november at 4:29PM, maxdown user noticed something wrong at 8:13, Cliff pulled down the download link at 8:43, fixed the issue and replaced the download link in the first post of the release topic at 9:33PM, so 5.03.01 is the file you will find right now in the 5.03 release topic. In fact, the "bad" 5.03 was only avaliable to download in a briev window of time.
Hence:
5.03 file must go to trash
5.03.01 file must go to the black box

Last edited:
I was experiencing this issue (AF II MK1) even after Q5.03.01 ....... and no - I have no Global Blocks

Had a private conversation with the OP simonp54 and it seems he's all ok now on his XL+ ... but there was a method which he hasn't exactly explained above that cured the issue (for me anyway).

It seems just the 2 of us caught this bug after updating to Q5.03 (the buggy one) and then for some random reason it still affected us after further upgrading to Q5.03.01 ..... so at this stage it likely doesn't apply to anyone else but worth putting it out there just in case someone else has updated to Q5.03 and doesn't know about Q5.03.01 and finds it happens to them.

[edit] It seems maybe the OP's problem was he hadn't even tried Q5.03.01 which I didn't realise in chatting with him ..... so this issue might have just been happening to me - Murphys feckin Luck [/edit]

If you get 'quartered' instead of 'halved' sag values on your presets even after updating to Q5.03.01 ......

What seems to work is

1. Roll back to Q5.02 (or whatever FW version you were at) all sag values return to normal 'old' values

2. Backup all your Axe-Fx preset banks at Q5.02 (or whatever FW you rolled back to) using FractalBot

3. Update the Axe to Q5.03.01

4. Load in the backed up banks again via FractalBot - all should be good again and your preset sag values 'halve' as expected

=============================================================

What seemed to be happening for both simonp54 and myself was

We updated from Q5.02 to Q5.03 and all the updated presets showed a 'quarter' value of the old outgoing FW version sag value instead of a 'halved' value.

This was fixed by Cliff with the Q5.03.01 updated installer.

When the errant 'Q5.03' presets were then further updated to Q5.03.01 the 'quartered' sag values on the presets seemed to still stick there for unknown reasons.

Rolling back to Q5.02 still fixed the sag values back to their 'old' values though - so no lasting damage done. But trying to update again at that point still did not solve the issue

I'd assume this is an issue that might affect you only if you updated to the bugged Q5.03 before further updating to Q5.03.01

IE If you update from your current Q5.02 or earlier FW to Q5.03.01 you should have zero issues (besides perhaps the Global Block thing which yek has described the workaround for on the main FW release thread).

================================================

I discovered one slightly puzzling thing in my investigations to shake off the 'quarter' curse

I decided to try importing a fresh factory preset from the preset banks downloaded from the FAS site to see if it's Amp block came in with the correct 'halved' Sag value onto my Q5.03.01 loaded Axe-FX.

What I meant to do was download the latest Factory Preset Banks (labelled 'Q2.01' on the FAS site) and try replacing a few existing Factory presets on my Axe-FX to see what happened.

What I actually did was download the latest factory preset banks ok - but I mistakenly selected a Bank from my older 'V18p03' Factory presets when testing

While on Q5.03.01 I tried replacing one Factory preset from my archived 'v18p03' Factory preset banks which were downloaded from the FAS site and are the same base presets that I've used loaded on my Axe since at least FW 19 onwards.

I used Axe-Edit's Preset Manager tool to browse the Bank A and dragged the preset over to a slot in my Axe-FX and saved it.

It was Bank A Preset 019 'Shiver Clean' which I already knew for sure had a default Sag value of 3.20 in FW5.02 and previous FWs - therefore in Q5.03.01 it should default to 1.60

When the preset was copied over I looked at the sag value and it was still quartered at '0.80'

I then noticed my mistake and copied across the same preset from the freshly downloaded 'Q2.01' Factory Bank A ..... this time it landed with the correct Sag value of 1.60

Factory Preset from v18p03 Factory Bank -> slot on Q5.03.01 Axe-FX - Sag quartered (wrong)

Factory Preset from Q2.01 Factory Bank -> slot on Q5.03.01 Axe-FX - Sag halved (correct)

I last replaced ALL Factory presets/banks using the 'v18p03' Factory Presets download from the FAS site when I was still using FW18 or maybe FW19.

Essentially I started over from 'Factory Fresh' at FW18 or FW19 using the latest available Factory Presets. So my current custom presets and any residual Factory presets loaded on my Axe-FX are all derived from not before FW 18 and those 'v18p03' downloaded factory presets.

So (finally)..... could there be something lurking in presets that have been created in FW18 or FW19 using 'V18p03' Factory Banks and updated sequentially in situ on the Axe-FX to Q5.03.01 that affected the new sag range adjustment?

Last edited:
[edit] It seems maybe the OP's problem was he hadn't even tried Q5.03.01 which I didn't realise in chatting with him ..... so this issue might have just been happening to me - Murphys feckin Luck [/edit]

yes... i had not updated...

Back
Top Bottom