Q3.02 Volume Spike Switching Amp [SOLVED]

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
I'm getting a brief and very loud volume spike when sustaining chords while using MIDI to switch between Amp1 and Amp2 blocks. It happens even if I turn one amp level to minimum, so it's not like they're both on at the same time. I also have a near-identical patch with different amps that has no problem.

I have Axe-FX II (1st model), patch has about 74% CPU usage.
No Axe-Edit, same problem with MIDI no USB connected, or MIDI via USB.

No problem if I use AxeEdit and scenes to switch between amps; only when using an external controller to switch between amp blocks.

Here's a link to the problem patch and also my system settings if that helps.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uzd0no5ta94b40t/AABpY5c-fK0JGCYth8Ihe_BAa?dl=0

Last edited:
Yeah, I get these as well. Doesn't matter if the amp blocks are the same amp or different.

I did notice one thing that may or may not be part of the issue: looking at the output section (very right end of the chain), the main level I always have set to 0.00. Even so, on most of my presets the vertical slider looks like it is moving just a bit, and the 0.00 digits flicker. I can reset the slider and get it to stop moving, but it has no effect on the digit flicker, and no effect on the volume spike happening.

What drove me there is that the volume spike sounds like a latency issue on some setting. Like there is a volume reduction set somewhere that takes some time to register.

Problem resolved.

I've had trouble with this patch before because it's settings are close to the maximum patch size. It seems that selecting the new Dweezil amp pushed it over the edge and it saved with the amps in Thru bypass mode instead of Mute.

GM Arts, which seems to be causing this in your case...the high CPU usage or the "through" setting on the block? And what do you mean by high CPU?

The effect I'm describing is on patches with 75-80% CPU, AFX2, Mk1.

CPU usage is not high - about 75%. The problem is that he patch is complex and the patch size is not big enough for all of the settings. So even though I'm setting the amp block's bypass mode to "mute", they save as "thru" in this case. The amp blocks are in parallel, so switching between them was causing the spike.

...the patch size is not big enough for all of the settings. So even though I'm setting the amp block's bypass mode to "mute", they save as "thru" in this case.

Not sure what you mean by the patch size not being big enough, or how that is related to the CPU usage, but...

What does Mute or Thru have to do with either? It's just a setting, and doesn't add load or bits anywhere. If the preset isn't saving to Mute when you ask it to, that seems like another bug.

Regarding this bug, are you saying that you don't have it on any patches anymore?

All of the bits that define a patch have to fit within a certain size (in bits/bytes) and he has somehow managed to exceed this limit by cramming too many things inside :)

Sounds like it should not be possible, but I've seen the same thing reported at least once before.

^--- Yes, that's it unix-guy.

It has nothing to do with CPU, just patch complexity. I reported other issues with this same patch a while back when it wasn't saving tempo settings, so it's obviously right on the limit of available patch size.

And yes, the problem has gone now that I'm not using the new Dweezil amp. It saves properly and has no volume spike when switching.

^--- Yes, that's it unix-guy.

It has nothing to do with CPU, just patch complexity. I reported other issues with this same patch a while back when it wasn't saving tempo settings, so it's obviously right on the limit of available patch size.

And yes, the problem has gone now that I'm not using the new Dweezil amp. It saves properly and has no volume spike when switching.

Interesting! I had not heard of this. I would think that complexity would be directly proportional to the CPU%, so this is a surprise for me.

So when this happens does it always drop the same thing from the save...thru versus mute? Or does it randomly drop other things?

yes, I had replies from my previous issue that my patch was trying to do too much.

It's about the number and types of effects I'm using. There's only so much space in a patch for settings and this patch is right on the brink.

I think the XL models have more space for settings in their patches, so maybe it's been addressed there.

Back
Top Bottom