Q1.05 vs Q2.00 Friedman HBE

Crapshoes

Description for the Soundcloud link:
This is a comparison between Firmware 1.05 and 2.00 for the Axe-Fx MK-II XL+

The first sample is Q1.05 and the second is Q2.00

The amp in this comparison is the Friedman HBE, and the settings in all of the blocks within the preset are exactly the same. There were only two post recording tweaks, which were in the DAW. The level of the sample for Q1.05 was adjusted upwards by .08db to compensate for the volume difference. Also, a general master was applied to both tracks to increase the stereo image. Otherwise the tracks are unprocessed. The drums and bass in both versions of the mix are also untouched.

but you didn't tell us what we're supposed to hear, so how can we disagree with you? ;)

both sound great. i prefer one over the other though :)

Description for the Soundcloud link:
This is a comparison between Firmware 1.05 and 2.00 for the Axe-Fx MK-II XL+

The first sample is Q1.05 and the second is Q2.00

The amp in this comparison is the Friedman HBE, and the settings in all of the blocks within the preset are exactly the same. There were only two post recording tweaks, which were in the DAW. The level of the sample for Q1.05 was adjusted upwards by .08db to compensate for the volume difference. Also, a general master was applied to both tracks to increase the stereo image. Otherwise the tracks are unprocessed. The drums and bass in both versions of the mix are also untouched.

I completely disagree.

;)

Same input on both sections? Or different takes?
you know, i used to think that the same DI or performance sent to both is the way to go for comparisons.

but even if we plug into different physical amps, we play differently on each one depending on how they palm mute, or this or that. so a performance made on one amp or firmware might not be the best representation when played through a new firmware.

i actually feel it's a more "fair" comparison with different fw or amps or whatever, to have different performances. i don't care how the old performance sounds on the new version. i want to hear what a person naturally does to adapt to the new one.

you know, i used to think that the same DI or performance sent to both is the way to go for comparisons.

but even if we plug into different physical amps, we play differently on each one depending on how they palm mute, or this or that. so a performance made on one amp or firmware might not be the best representation when played through a new firmware.

i actually feel it's a more "fair" comparison with different fw or amps or whatever, to have different performances. i don't care how the old performance sounds on the new version. i want to hear what a person naturally does to adapt to the new one.

Totally true! I'd just like to know what I'm listening to. There's a fair amount more gain on the 2nd one, and if these are different takes, there's a bunch of reasons why that might be the case - playing harder - recorded weeks apart and the level into the axe was different for some reason, etc - so for me, I can ignore the difference in gain if I know it's two different takes.

It would be nice to hear the guitar tracks in isolation. It's difficult to make perceptual distinctions with a full band mix if the differences are subtle.

I thought the second clip sounded a little smoother and not as cutting. I feel like I'm splitting hairs though.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the first clip. Both sound good though - nice chops!

Loved both takes, sounds great. Love the Friedman HBE in the AxeFX

All I know is a feel bad for any human drummer that has to try to play that track.

No kidding... Now matter how hard I practiced on a drum set, I could never *get* double bass down. Good thing there are easier instruments to play.

I thought the greater differences are supposed to be on amps which drive the power amp more? The HBE would mostly be pre-amp distortion, no?

It would be nice to hear the guitar tracks in isolation. It's difficult to make perceptual distinctions with a full band mix if the differences are subtle.

In future I'll include the solo guitar sound, but I think the context in a mix is what matters most honestly. When are you ever going to have a recording with JUST the guitar? (I know that's genre specific) The big thing for me is that bass tone influences your perception of the guitar tone so much... I should have taken the bass out if anything. Seeing as it's the same bass sample both times, the perceived difference in the amps would be much less. Lesson learned!

Last edited:
Same input on both sections? Or different takes?

The same DI was used for both tracks, I should have said that. The reasoning behind Chris' statement is valid though, you respond differently to different amps and it influences the overall tone. However that's a largely subjective bias towards one version or the other, especially given pick attack, string integrity etc. etc. so to remain as even as possible I elected to use the same input.

Back
Top Bottom