[Q] Triangle chorus and Stereo Tri-Chorus

hjshimdm

Hi all,
Although I have read "Audio-Block-Guide" and "Wiki chorus", I am still puzzled.

1. Does the "FM3 Triangle chorus" simulate "DyTronics Tri-Stereo chorus" ?
2. What's the "FM3 Stereo Tri-chorus" ? Does it simulate "DyTronics Tri-Stereo chorus" ?

Thank you.

(1) It's probably about the wave (sine, triangle, etc.)

I've seen LA cats say they way prefer a square wave or triangle wave for the smoothest chorus. Way back, Cliff didn't seem to agree, but at least we got the triangle wave as an option.

Radley, 5/2009: "Please consider changing the chorus waveshape in the Reverb block to triangle. I'm hearing the modulation 'turn the corners' and it detracts from the smoothness IMHO (when using long, heavy verb)." _Cliff: "I don't think you'll like triangle waveforms for cho/pitch stuff. [...]"

Jay Graydon: "Most people do not realize that using a square wave as the modulator is the smoothest way to chorus!"

(2) Matt: For the record, we based this model on the genuine article — a Dytronics Songbird, not a recreation. As for the “chorus fanatic” — he or she will be hard pressed to not be very pleased. And of course, with a second chorus block onboard you can actually do a stereo HEX-CHORUS… you’ve never heard anything like it!
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-the-new-tri-chorus-clean.135536/post-1607271

Last edited:
Square wave modulation of delay time would alternate between two times, no smooth transition, so no real detune effect. Not sure why he said that, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Of course there's a possibility I'm deluded though :)

Of course there's a possibility I'm deluded though :)
You can also hope it's specific to electric pianos, or specific to some units, or the unit is not really doing that, or he misunderstood, ... — so heads up! ;) But I would guess they did replicate and use that for the plugin running the EP samples.

Fuller quote...

Jay Graydon, 2016: "Please tell all of your friends and websites about the “E” program! Spectrasonics has noted misleading information that could destroy the market of the Famous “E” Rhodes owned by George! Note huge attention will be paid as to the chorus since as we know that is extremely important to the sound! Most people do not realize that using a square wave as the modulator is the smoothest way to chorus! If you have an ALESIS QUADRAVERB, one of the chorus modulator options is a square wave! The designer of the QUADRAVERB is Marcus Ryle and is a very close friend. When I was beta testing the unit for him, he mentioned to check out the square wave modulator — I was floored as to the smooth modulation!"

Last edited:
IIRC the stereo tri-chorus uses 3 different LFOs with phase relationships 120 degrees apart which results in that less of that noticeable "warble" with more of a "smooth" or "shimmery" sound. the triangle chorus seems to be a simple 2 voice chorus with a triangle shaped LFO.

IIRC the stereo tri-chorus uses 3 different LFOs with phase relationships 120 degrees apart which results in that less of that noticeable "warble" with more of a "smooth" or "shimmery" sound. the triangle chorus seems to be a simple 2 voice chorus with a triangle shaped LFO.
Exactly.

Hi Leon,
It's an honor to meet you. I have been studying FM3 with your lots of YouTube clips. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom